SSD that works with Lion on 2011 MBP 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonzoguy24, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gonzoguy24 macrumors member

Can anyone tell me from experience if they have a third party SSD that works with Mac OS Lion and a 13" 2011 Core i5 MBP? It can be SATA III or SATA II, i do not care.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am using a Samsung 470 SATA II SSD on that config and it works perfectly. No hacks or tricks, just installed then cloned and ran the machine.

Any SATA II SSD should work fine. SATA III SSDs seem to be more finicky and some work and others don't. Even the same brand SATA III works for some and not others.

Apple does not officially support SATA III in these machines, so you are taking your chances with one.

3. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Yeah, there's seemingly no bad feedback or press about the Samsung 470, quite astounding. Samsung's first SATA III offering, which is set to hit the shelves in October, is supposedly super fast. Yet, there's no guarantee it'll be issue-free like its predecessor, at least not right away.

4. gonzoguy24 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response guys...I will try out an OCZ Agility SATA II 240 GB or a sammy and see what happens.

5. Fiesta macrumors newbie

Fiesta

I have the 13" i7 with an intel 320. No problems on Lion.

6. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

7. aldejesus macrumors regular

8. popcorn-in-sac macrumors member

I just took delivery of a Samsung 470 series 128GB SSD myself, and am a bit torn between turning Trim on or leaving it off. I'm not really big on hacks, but also don't want to have a poor performing SSD over time.

Sounds like you aren't using Trim, based on your comments, correct? How are you finding it so far?

Thanks,
    Mark

9. gonzoguy24 thread starter macrumors member

Want the samsung 830...but i'm impatient...

I ended up ordering the OCZ agility II since I have heard of people running lion with it that did not have any issues...I know it is old but I ended up bumping up to 240 GB since the $330 price point was enticing...I'm crossing my fingers it works out well...I figure the SATA II on my 2011 MBP will be more reliable than a SATA III ssd.

Again, everyone thank you for the feedback...I am starting to think I should have gone Intel or Samsung but oh well...you live and learn. I will report back with my findings later on.

10. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Well then, enjoy your SSD. No matter which SSD you have, you'll notice an incredible speed bump. May your Agility 2 serve you for a long time.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am not using the TRIM hack as I am concerned about stability and data loss with it. What I did was use this procedure to enable TRIM one time, then booted to single user mode and ran the command "fsck -ffy" to TRIM free space, then I undid the TRIM hack. I see no need to chance running it all the time. I figure I will enable it every few months and TRIM free space with fsck.

I am having no problems at all with the drive and have not noticed any slow down since I first ran TRIM after I installed the drive.

Even if you never run TRIM you will only ever see a slight write speed slow down and nothing else, and this is only after you have written to every cell on the drive... which could take a long time depending on usage.

12. popcorn-in-sac macrumors member

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.