SSD "this item will be deleted immediately" - No moving to trash anymore?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 50548, Aug 7, 2011.

1. 50548 Guest

Whenever I try to delete an application from the main applications folder on my internal SSD, this message pops up, which does NOT give me the option of simply moving stuff to the trash.

Besides, I've realized that many updates are NOT replacing the original versions, which end up being renamed with the previous version numbers on my Applications folder...

What gives?

2. sth macrumors 6502a

3. 50548 thread starter Guest

Yep, I have permissions issues, but they seem to continually show up even after repairing...it's already the third round now.

The problem seems to be linked to the fact that the OS and the apps are on the SSD, while my user is on the HD...but how to fix/reset permissions for good, while keeping my admin rights?

4. sth macrumors 6502a

I don't think this is a permission issue or has something to do with the SSD.

Have you verified the actual disks (not the permissions)?

5. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

check the permissions on the trash directory using terminal.

$ ls -lart ~/.* | grep .Trash

It should be owned by your username and the group should be staff. If it isn't, do a

$ sudo chown <username>:staff ~/.Trash

I had this once before, it took me a while to figure it out.

6. 50548, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2011

50548 thread starter Guest

Yes, the disk is fine...I really think it's a permissions issue, because right now FlatOut 2 refused to apply an update to itself in the Applications folder, with the message that it did not have the rights to do so...

Thanks, this is what is shows (ricardogf is my username):

drwx------ 2 ricardogf admin 68 7 Ago 18:46 .Trash

Is this a problem?

7. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Not sure why you are part of the group admin. Are all your files like this?

8. 50548, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

To be honest, I've made some changes in permissions with the aim of tackling the problem, which probably led to these results.

So you're saying I am not supposed to be in the admin group, even as an user with admin rights?

Will "Reset Password" solve this issue (with the Lion install DVD)?

9. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Create a new admin user and see if the issue occurs when you login to the new admin user account.

10. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

if you right clicked on the SSD and select Get Info, under sharing & permissions...what is in that list? and what does it state next to each user?

11. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I had this problem not long ago. Putting "rm -R ~/.Trash" into the terminal, and then "killall finder" fixed it for me.

12. 50548, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

It definitely is something related to permissions (following installation of the OS/apps in the SSD and users in the HD)...when I do a get info on the SSD it shows the following:

"You have custom access"
    ricardogf (Me) R&W
    system R&W
    wheel Read only
    everyone Read only

Another example: I fired up Skype and started updating it to 5.3 - even though it downloaded and stated the new version was installed, it continues to show up as 5.2 in the Apps folder...

How can I solve this once and for all?

p.s.: I haven't yet tried creating a new admin because I don't want to mess up with the way my users folder is managed...

Well, I couldn't perform killall finder because it said "No matching processes belonging to you were found"... :(

p.s.: sorry, my bad...I typed "finder" in lowercase letters when it should be the opposite..!

p.s.2: problem seems to continue...Skype is NOT updating..!

p.s.3: Does this happen because my SSD does NOT support TRIM, therefore deleting files directly without passing by the trash can???

13. ryanEM3 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I just created an account to help you out with your problem.

So first off, your hard drive is fine. Your problem is that you are no longer the owner of your account's Trash. To fix this you will have to recreate your account's trash by by removing the account's trash directory. To do this follow the instructions below:

1. If the affected account is protected by FileVault, log in to the affected account, then switch to and log in to your Admin account via Fast User Switching. Otherwise, log in to your Admin account.

2. Open Terminal, located in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder.

3. At the Terminal prompt, type one of the following commands:

If the affected account is:

Your Admin account: sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash
    Another user account: sudo rm -rf /Users/user_name/.Trash

where user_name is the short name of the affected account.

Note that:

There is a single space after each of the terms sudo, rm, and -rf in the command.

Make sure you have typed the command exactly as specified before proceeding: typographical errors in this command can have dire consequences, including erasing your hard drive!

4. Press Return.

5. Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.

6. If the affected account is your Admin account, log out. If the affected account was another user account that is logged in via Fast User Switching, log out of that account.

7. Log in to the affected account. It will now have a new, working, and empty Trash.

Refer to http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/trash.html#Anchor-Empty-49575 for more solutions to Mac OS X Trash problems.

Hope this helps.

14. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

For me the solution was to remove .Trashes on my boot volume

Did you ever manage to fix this?

For me it didn't help to delete .Trash, the problem was with .Trashes on my startup disk. Once I deleted that and restarted (so the trash got re-created) I could move stuff created on /Applications to the Trash again.

Instructions here: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10357452-263.html