SSD to replace hard hard drive in 21.5 inch 2010 iMac. Help required

Discussion in 'iMac' started by guy curlewis, Aug 30, 2015.

1. guy curlewis macrumors member

hi there

I have a i3 3.2 16gb ram mid 2010 iMac and I understand replacing the hard drive with an SSD is the way forward in terms of speeding up my machine.

I have no experience of this. Is this easy to do and can anyone recommend a good SSD? . I am replacing a 1tb drive but as I now have Synology nas drive and external FireWire 800 g drive storage units I am happy to go smaller. In terms of of value and size can anyone recommend a solution?

Many thanks

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

In both cases go with OWC. They have install videos too and sell a tool kit you will need too.

is the link for the http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid27_2010_ssddiy/ install video.

3. tyche macrumors 6502

I've used a 256gb SSD for years in my 2010 since I also have a synology nas for data. If you have a big iTunes library it might be easier to get a 512gb as prices have dropped where they cost about what I paid for my 256.

Make sure you have the parts (torx screwdriver, etc) and watch the install videos several times before opening.

I'd also recommend you clone your drive and make sure you can restore back to your ssd - ie make sure the SSD has enough space.

The only issue I had doing it myself was fans going full speed. I bought smc fan control and it solved that issue.

4. guy curlewis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help everyone much appreciated

5. AlifTheUnseen macrumors member

AlifTheUnseen

I wouldn't call that 'solved' but I'll accept 'remedied', although there might be a risk with overheating involved… but maybe SMC takes care of that as well…

AFAIK, this spinning frenzy happens as the temperature sensor isn't reconnected in an appropriate way… I don't have the technical details in my L2 cache, but I think there are some threads here wrt replacing the hdd by an SSD which also mentioned that T sensor issue. Might be worth a look…

Anyway, as I am waiting for rev 2 RiMac and hoping for an October launch, I'll not upgrade my ssd just now. As I have the very same machine as you, I hope you'll tell us about your success and the new life on the fast lane… :)

6. tyche macrumors 6502

I actually use HDD Fan Control (always mix the name up).

I've had an SSD in my 2010 iMac for almost 5 years now. The fan software works excellently. It's not cheap and these days there might be a better option but back in 2010 it was the quickest and easiest answer for someone who doesn't live in the U.S. and didn't want to order parts and shipping.

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

OWC sells a cable now that takes care of the problem. As long as your machine has been working okay for 5 years then don't touch it, however for the OP if he is replacing the HD then this should be a viable solution.

8. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Everyone seems to treat an HD/SSD swap on the iMac like it's brain surgery; it's not. Take your time and, in addition to watching OWC videos, go to iFixit.com and take a look at their step by step guide; they also sell tools and parts if you need them. I did this 3 years ago on the exact same model you have and it works great; easily the best bang for your buck. I'm hoping to get another 2 years at least out of mine.