SSD too Good to be True

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexxn, Nov 10, 2012.

1. alexxn macrumors regular

So a little over a week ago I bought a Toshiba / Apple SSD to put in my 2011 15" cMBP. I posted a thread about how even though this was an OEM Apple SSD, Trim wasn't showing as being enabled for some reason. I've since come to terms with that fact that Trim is a no go with this drive for some reason.

Fast forward a week and now when I am closing programs before shutting down I am staring to get beachballs that don't go away - earlier today I had to hold the power button down to get the laptop to shut down.

I am concerned that this is now starting to happen and what lies in the future.

Do I just go and buy a brand new SSD, Samsung or Crucial ? (like I should have in the first place) :confused:

I'd hate for something really bad to fail with this drive and lose alot of work.

2. ConCat, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012

ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

First of all, backup backup backup. Drives in all shapes and sizes can fail, and if you don't backup, then you may lose your data. Second of all, no reputable place I know of sells Apple OEM SSDs... I'd suggest sticking to legit vendors. If you can't get TRIM support working, then use one of those SSDs that doesn't need TRIM support. I believe they're Intel drives with a SandForce controller. Just do a little digging to be sure, but if it has a SandForce controller, you wont need TRIM.

3. alexxn thread starter macrumors regular

I bought it on Ebay - it was a take-out drive from an iMac - has the Apple branding on it.

From the looks of it the earliest Apple SSD's are not Trim capable.

4. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

It may very well be from a 100% authentic iMac, but that doesn't mean it was a 100% functional iMac. eBay is generally a bad place to buy computer parts.

5. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

In your other thread several people told you to buy a third party SSD. Crucial or Samsung are good drives. Amazon is a good place to buy them from.

6. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Agreed. I use either Amazon or NewEgg. Both are extremely reputable, just be sure to read a review or two before purchase.

7. comptr macrumors 65816

wait macsales.com was selling a toshiba ssd that looked like a apple oem ssd.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The Samsung 830 is a great drive for your MBP if you can find one. I'm not sure about the 840s, but Samsung has a good track record so far. The Crucial M4 is a great drive as well, but it does have lower write speeds than some other drives(in my case it doesn't matter because my MBP is a mid 2009 model with SATA II).

In addition to previously mentioned retailers, B&H, Fry's Electronics and several other shops have good reputations. I just watched for good prices on slickdeals.

9. alexxn thread starter macrumors regular

200-Write
    203-Read

Both according to BlackMagic Speed

I'd imagine that's about the best for this drive being it's SATA II ?

10. maylen macrumors member

Can you tell if the last 4 letter of the SSD you got are BBAA or GBSJ?
    Cause the first is for 2010mbp and the latter for 2011s

11. eron macrumors 6502

Yep. That old SSD is failing. 1st Gen SSDs weren't stable. Mine failed. That was a few years back. Recent ones like the Samsung 470 series onwards are stable.

With SSDs, reliability counts.

12. alexxn thread starter macrumors regular

APPLE SSD TS256B:

Capacity: 251 GB (251,000,193,024 bytes)
    Model: APPLE SSD TS256B
    Revision: AGAA0205
    Serial Number: 69MS108WT0SZ
    Native Command Queuing: No
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Medium Type: Solid State
    TRIM Support: No
    Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
    Volumes:

----------

On the drive itself it says THNS256GG8BBAA

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I am sure they would take care of you if you had a bad one. You may not be so lucky on eBay.

14. maylen, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

maylen macrumors member

The OWC ones weren't Apple OEM - they were the same model, but didn't have the logo thus TRIM disabled.

You bought the 2010 apple sad for 2011 mac and thats why TRIM isn't working.

And anyways 2011 Mac has 6GBps SATA 3 connection you have 2 far better options

1) Get the GBSJ SSD and have slower speeds but native TRIM support.

2) Buy a 3rd party SSD - blazing speeds 450+Mb/s..

P.S If you want to get rid of the drive message me.