SSD Transfer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AroundTheFur922, Mar 2, 2013.

1. AroundTheFur922 macrumors member

AroundTheFur922

Hello, I apologize for posting this as there is probably a discussion covering this subject but I perused around a bit and couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. I am new to the Mac universe (about a month) and recently purchased a Crucial M4 256GB SSD along with a Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM kit for about $250 on Amazon. I will be installing these components into a 2012 MBP 13" with a 500GB 5,400RPM HDD and 4GB of RAM. There are dozens of videos on how to install and swap the hardware but my question is how do you go about transferring the data from the original mechanical HDD to the SSD? What hardware will I need that may not be included in the purchased SSD (screwdrivers, cables etc.)? Is there a program that I should use? Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You will need a 00 size Phillips screwdriver to remove the case screws. Then a #6 Torx driver to remove the four mounting studs on the sides of the drive.

Just use the free 30 day trial of the app Carbon Copy Cloner to move your data from one drive to the other using an external USB enclosure.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

What Weaselboy said. Consider buying CCC and using it to keep a clone of your SSD on your original drive. Every so often make a bootable copy and you have an ready to use backup if your MBP gets stolen or dies. I make complete clones of both my MBP and my wife's iMac about once a month.