SSD, TRIM, & questions about migrating two partitions from old HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spazer, Jun 21, 2011.

1. spazer macrumors member

Hi all,

I have an Intel G3 600gb SSD on the way that I'll be putting in my 2011 MBP 15 and have a couple questions about the install.

1. What is the recommended method of moving my data from my current HDD to the new SSD? I have two partitions with Snow Leopard and Windows 7 and would like to preserve them without having to completely reinstall and reconfigure each OS.

Options:
    - Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my HDD bit for byte. Will this work for both partitions?
    - Use Snow Leopard install CD and restore from Time machine backup. Reinstall Windows 7 from scratch.
    - Reinstall both operating systems from scratch.

2. What is the consensus on whether we should run TRIM? I've noticed the developer builds of Lion don't support TRIM on non-apple SSDs, so should I proceed with the TRIM hack in Snow Leopard, and redo the hack when I upgrade to Lion in July?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

For question 2, I wouldn't enable TRIM. 2011 13" MBP with Vertex 3 SSD beach balled/stalled constantly until I disabled it. I haven't had any issues since disabling.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I see in profiler that my MBA 2010's SSD supports TRIM but I can't find how to enable it.

4. spazer thread starter macrumors member

I did a little research and found software called Winclone that might help move my bootcamp partition to my new SSD. For those of you that have done this before, does the following process look good?

Steps to install SSD:

1. Time machine backup of OSX
    2. Run windows checkdisk: "chkdsk /f /r" at the DOS prompt then reboot twice into Windows
    3. Run Winclone, backup DMG to external HDD
    4. Remove HDD, install SSD
    5. Using Snow Leopard DVD, install OSX
    5a. either run migration assistant from old HDD (connected via USB)
    5b. or restore from time machine backup (what is recommended???)
    6. Ensure everything works in Snow Leopard
    7. Run boot camp assistant and install boot camp partition (is this necessary, or will WinClone create the necessary NTFS partition for bootcamp?)
    8. Run Winclone to restore Windows partition from DMG backup
    9. Boot into Windows 7 and ensure everything works

5. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I also agree with the statement that you shouldn't do the TRIM hack - it made mine freeze up too.

For Win7, keep in mind that when you do a fresh install on an SSD, it automatically optimizes the OS for the SSD. If you copy it from a HDD, you won't have that automatically. Here's a guide to some tweaks to make it more "SSD friendly". It's for a Windows laptop, so some of it won't apply (e.g. the BIOS stuff).