SSD TRIM Support Invaluable!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nylon, Jun 2, 2010.

1. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I purchased an Intel 34nm 160GB SSD 12 months ago to install in my MBP 13". It has been an excellent drive, however, started to significantly slow down over the last few months. The only way I was able to recover to original speeds was by formatting the entire drive as a windows drive and running the Intel SSD Toolbox app in Win 7 (manual trim command).

Finally I reinstalled OSX and voila drive was as fast as when I initially purchased it.

Either Intel needs to release a OSX compatible toolbox app or Apple needs to build the functionality into OSX.

I know this has been a topic before but thought I'd share my experience.

2. akramer macrumors member

From what I've seen the Intel drives only slow down by about 20% once they get full. You were able to notice that? Or are you saying you saw a much greater than 20% slowdown? SSDs are still ridiculously fast, even when 20% slower.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

Did you upgrade to the latest firmwares? The latest firmwares has much better system in place to restore the performance.

4. nylon thread starter macrumors 6502a

nylon

Yes I had upgraded to the latest firmware.

The drive was slowing down even though not full. Running the TRIM command on the entire drive made a noticeable difference in speed.

5. Xombie11 macrumors regular

It may have been more the OSX reinstallation than the TRIM command... Reformatting is always helpful in speeding up your system, Windows or Mac.