Ssd & trim.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onmi, Jul 12, 2012.

1. onmi macrumors newbie

So I am installing my Crucial M4 128GB 6GB/s drive into my mid 2010 15" i5 macbook pro...I have been told so far that TRIM can lead to different results and to enable it if it being off is leading to not the best performance.

If I need to enable trim, what is the best way with the Crucial M4 drive on the latest Mac OS X Lion OS? Thanks all.:)

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

3. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I installed an SSD into my mid 2009 MBP too. How do I know if I'm trim is enabled?

4. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

So I just looked at the about my mac page, and went to the s-ata page and looked up the ssd. It listed Trim Support as a yes. I don't know whether it was a no before I used terminal, but hopefully that means it worked.

5. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I guess you are implying that Trim Enabler should not be used beacuse of the warning at the beginning of that link?

That link is now over a year old and I believe at that time the warning against Trim Enabler may have been valid. But I also believe Trim Enabler has since addressed the criticism and is now sound. I t has been reviewed favourably on Anandtech.

I have been using it since v2 came out around beginning of year(?) with no problems.

Both my 128 and 512 Gb Crucial M4 suffered severe (50%) loss of small write speed without TRIM. It wasn't noticeable in normal use but it was very measurable with Quickbench.

6. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

About this Mac/More Info/System Report/Hardware/Serial-ATA.....

Attached Files:

7. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

So now that you have had trim support on for a couple days, how has the performance been? I have read that trim is not needed for crucial m4's because they have garbage collection built into the firmware.

8. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I have read that too. This is typical of much that is written about SSDs.... a lot of conflicting information. I can only report what I found by measurement, which I reported by in THIS THREAD in the Crucial forum on the same subject.

As I said before the drop in write performance is not noticeable in normal use, so I suspect many people will report that theirs is fine. But if they measured the speed with Quickbench or similar would find it had slowed.

Maybe it doesn't matter...still loads faster than HDD.

9. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

It was honestly so easy to do that I can't see why not to do it. I understand garbage collection is like trim but there is no reason not to use both to maintain your ssd performance.

10. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I read that thread, so enabling trim is the way to go? The latest post in that thread was four months ago and you started it about six months ago. Since then I think crucial came out with the 000F firmware update that fixes most of the issues that people were seeing. My SSD came with the latest firmware and I have seen no issues. However it has only been a month since I installed it.

11. biohead macrumors 6502

I don't think you can run TRIM and GC at the same time.

Usually, a drive which supports both GC AND TRIM disable it's GC if it detects the Host OS is using TRIM, and uses GC if the Host OS is not passing TRIM messages.

12. minky1234 macrumors newbie

I enabled TRIM a few days ago (crucial m4), hasn't had any noticeable negative effects so far .. so thought I might as well keep it enabled, was really easy to do.

13. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Here is my Cruical M4s performance since I installed it on June 23rd. Still getting the same performance I did since day one with TRIM enabled. I know some drives don't do well with TRIM enabled and a lot of debate around whether you should enable it at all.

Attached Files: