SSD troubles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zwodubber, Feb 15, 2014.

1. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

If anyone can help me out here I would really appreciate it, I have never had this much (or any for that matter) getting a new drive to work.

BTW, I am ditching the current drive so I will only have the SSD

Could you tell me exactly how you guys setup your USB bootable drive? I've read through many articles and tried at least 4 methods and all give me an error at some point in the install. Typically when I get to 18 minutes left in the Mavericks installation it stops because it can't create a recovery drive...

This method almost seemed to work...

http://macs.about.com/od/macoperati...avericks-Installer-On-A-Usb-Flash-Drive_3.htm

I have a newer technologies voyager I use for all my HDD clones using Carbon Copy Cloner and I cloned my momentus (current MBP drive) to 4 different HDD's but when I put the SSD in I get an error when it tries to create a recovery drive, and hangs up if I skip that step.

I'm not at all new to this and I'm getting ready to smash this thing

Any help would be grateful!

[​IMG]

One of the errors

[​IMG]

The setup I'm using

[​IMG]

2. zwodubber thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Connect the SSD via USB and use Disk Utility to format and partition it. Reboot into Recovery mode. Use Disk Utility to "restore" the SSD from the main HDD (Machintosh HD). After the restore cloning is over, reboot to the SSD to verify everything is OK. Note boot may be slow via USB.

Then open the Mac and swap the HDD for the SSD. Put the cover back on, boot up and enjoy.