SSD upgrade advice for nMP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by joe8232, Aug 13, 2015.

1. joe8232 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have a 512gb ssd in my 2013 nMP and I'm thinking of upgrading it to 1tb. Does anyone have any advice regarding either buying the aura from OWC or heading to eBay and buying one that has been pulled from an existing system.

Also does anyone know if would I be able to use the 512gb one that comes out of the mac pro in a retina macbook pro (2015 model)?

Thanks!

2. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

There are many system pulls and also OEM sealed units (taken from the apple repair network) on ebay, the price for a 1TB hovers around 600-800. Just watch a few and then pull the trigger when it hits a low point. Pulled units will usually be cheaper, obviously.

The 2015 rMBP IIRC has a new interface (enabling its 2GB/s read write) and I don't think it'll work?

3. MacVidCards Suspended

worth doing some research, certain units are 50% faster then the ones that shipped in 6,1

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Given a choice between the two, I would go with a pulled blade before choosing an OWC one. I remember reading of at least one user who had multiple failures with the OWC one.

5. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

From the outside, I'd also say "avoid OWC" completely.

People seem to think that OWC is "Apple friendly", when in fact they often sell commodity stuff for much more than the street price.

But since many Apple users will gladly pay Apple much more than the street price for commodity stuff, OWC has found a high margin niche market.

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've known this for a long time. However, in the last few years, they have made available some interesting products such as hard drives with modified firmware that play nice with iMac fan controls and Mac Pro drive sleds designed to accommodate 2.5" drives.

7. flowrider, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Also, from what I understand, OWC uses Sandforce controllers in their SSDs, which I'm not a fan of.