SSD Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrCookieMonster, Aug 13, 2014.

1. MrCookieMonster macrumors newbie

Ive currently got a 13" MBP Mid 2009 with 4GB and I'm thinking about upgrading the HDD to a SSD to get a bit more lifespan out of it.

Ive only done a little reading but occasionally I come across posts which imply there is an issue using SSD's in the mid 2009 models. Is this correct or is it misinformation? I can't really find anything specific, just odd comments about EFI Versions etc.

I realise its old spec SATA (SATA II?) so won't get the full performance benefits that some SSDs offer (SATA III?) but I was considering the Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW

Can anyone give any advice if this would be suitable for my machine, or any other issues using SSD and this model of machine?

*I know I will have to enable TRIM

Thanks.

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

3. MrCookieMonster thread starter macrumors newbie

All 116 pages some of which dating back 3+ years and maybe no longer relevant?

Or do you mean the first post which doesn't address the questions I asked?

Not trying to make a thread for threads sake and I will happily remove it if you can point me in the right direction for all these questions so as not to clutter the board...

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

We have a mid-2009 MBP here with a Samsung 840 EVO, and it is running just perfectly.

5. MrCookieMonster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I'd hoped that was the case but had come across some posts regarding EFI versions etc so wanted to be sure before getting one.

6. pragmatous macrumors 65816

The 840 evo is fine. There's also the 850 pro that's a little more expensive but it will outlast the 840 evo.

7. MrCookieMonster thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess you mean 840 pro as I can't see an 850.

It's roughly twice the price from a quick look so may just stick with the evo version as just want a stop gap for a couple of years before I get a new one.

Spending double starts me thinking of just getting a new machine now. :D

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is a Samsung 850, but it is a new model and you may not see it at all retailers yet. I don't see any reason why you would want one over the EVO though. Might take a look at the Crucial MX100 also. Pretty good bargain. Take a look at this.

9. bova80 macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded my 2.26ghz mid-2009 13" mbp with 4gb to a 256gb crucial mx100 SSD and it runs fast now. I might eventually upgrade to 8gb of ram, but we'll see how it does with just upgraded the SSD.

10. MrCookieMonster thread starter macrumors newbie

My bad. Shows how much I know!

Now I'm confused what to do. The crucial drive comes in slightly cheaper.

Is there a general consensus of which is better in terms of first hand experience. The link mentioned they were fairly equal apart from power loss function.

If this is the case why does it feel like most posts mention the samsung over the crucial. Have i missed something as the crucial pound for pound sounds a better deal?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is exactly zero good data out there on long term reliability of these things unfortunately. All we get is anecdotes from users (both good and bad).

The EVO has been around longer where the MX100 is a fairly new drive I think is why you see more chatter about the EVO.

Personally, I see no reason to spend more money on the EVO.

12. MrCookieMonster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help everyone.

I will shop around tonight and see which works out cheapest and get that one then!

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I put the Samsung EVO 840 SSDs and 8GB of memory into 2010 white MacBooks. It gives a huge performance increase.