SSD upgrade complete and SO worth it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eicca, Dec 29, 2014.

1. eicca macrumors 6502

eicca

Put in a 512GB Crucial MX100 that I got for Christmas (I'm such a geek :D )

Not only does my MacBook boot faster than my iPhone (about 10 seconds until ready to roll), but for the sake of showing off I can open a whole crapload of windows and apps, hit Restart and choose "Reopen windows when logging back in" and be right where I left off in 20 seconds.

File copying is soooooooo much faster, no more obnoxious "click" from the sudden motion sensor protection feature when I bump it, shuts down instantly, sleeps and wakes instantly, love it!

I haven't done the whole TRIM enabler thing but the Crucial drives come with garbage collection or whatever it's called and everything runs just dandy.

If you're on the fence, do it!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I made a post earlier about the same drive that I installed today. It rocks right along. :) 14.93 seconds to boot once I put in my password (I have FileVault 2). That is a heck of a lot better than 1 - 1.5 mins.

You don't need to worry about installing a trim app etc. Let it go like it is with the built in garbage collection. As long as you make sure to untick the allow hard drive to sleep box in energy preferences and don't fill the drive up, you should be good to go, according to Crucial. :)

3. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

I installed the same drive in my MBP back in July...The thing flies now.

I had to help out my sister with her MBP yesterday, and the thing is SOOO slow with the stock HDD in it. I've offered to put an SSD in her laptop to speed it up, but she thinks that I'm going to ruin it by "taking apart the whole laptop." :rolleyes: Uneducated people...

Anywho, file copying is now an amazing experience - It used to take about 2 minutes to copy a 1GB file on a HDD, and with the SSD it takes maybe five seconds. And the Sudden Motion Sensor was perhaps the most annoying thing about a HDD.

Yep, once you get an SSD, you'll never go back to a HDD (at least by your own free choice!)

Enjoy!

4. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

SSD is the best bang for the buck upgrade in any computer. Storage for so long has been a huge bottleneck.

5. eicca thread starter macrumors 6502

eicca

We put an SSD in my grandpa's old WinXP machine. With that new tech on an old OS, things load instantaneously. It's really fun.

6. eicca thread starter macrumors 6502

eicca

UPDATE: My battery life appears to be a tad better with the SSD. Over six hours estimated remaining at 90%, up from about 5:30 estimated from a full charge.

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

You should really install Windows 7 or 8.1 as XP is no longer receiving security updates. I upgraded my dad's old XP laptop to Windows 8.1 and SSD; they gave the machine a new lease on life. To avoid the dreaded start screen, I installed a program called StartIsBack, which boots directly to the desktop and revives the Windows 7-style start menu.

8. eicca thread starter macrumors 6502

eicca

We were going to but his hardware isn't quite up to the challenge.

9. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

lol yeah that's how it goes in the beginning. Later on, when you're used to the speed, you start taking it for granted and it feels like there's just as many beach balls as before :A

Until you go back to a machine with a hard drive and you wonder how we've ever lived with them.

10. JJayguy23 macrumors member

JJayguy23

Lol, PowerBook-G5! Your sister sounds hilarious.