SSD Upgrade - Fan Resolution

hkbladelawkhk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2010
So I replaced my internal drive with a 1tb Samsung SSD. And of course had the fans go nuts. I have it resolved using Mac Fan Control, but wanted to know ideal settings. By default, it's definitely more aggressive than stock (as my fans are in the good 1100rpm range now).

I have to change each fan manually (oddly enough the HDD fan doesn't go nuts if left on Auto, just the Optical drive and CPU).

So, What's a good temp range for the three fans to go off of?

Sidetrack: Did I mention that iMacs SUCK to take apart? Why the hell didn't they make it so you can get in them from the back!?

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
This is clearly documented online. It's a result of the proprietary thermal sensor Apple use.

You should buy the thermal sensor from OWC. This will solve the problem entirely so you don't have to live on the edge of damaging your hardware with manual fan control. What year is your iMac?

Yes iMacs are not easily upgradeable. It does not make business sense to make it easy, as they wouldn't sell as many units.

hkbladelawkhk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2010
This is clearly documented online. It's a result of the proprietary thermal sensor Apple use.

You should buy the thermal sensor from OWC. This will solve the problem entirely so you don't have to live on the edge of damaging your hardware with manual fan control. What year is your iMac?

Yes iMacs are not easily upgradeable. It does not make business sense to make it easy, as they wouldn't sell as many units.
It's not CLEARLY documented online. Everything I found were just news articles with no solid solution.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Just set a medium fan level at 80'c then full fans at 90'c and it'll see you through.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I don't like that idea. My luck, I'd break it. I'll be curious to see if the OWC one works....
You should like that idea. It's a 2-second mod that costs nothing. Take a twisty-tie, strip the ends off it, and then shove both ends into the fan cable connector. I did that with my 2009, - assume it still works on the later models.

hkbladelawkhk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Well this is messed up

I got the OWC thermal cable (for $80 I might add). Hooked it up, reset the SMC and PRAM and the fans still go nuts.

Side note. It looks like iStat Menus don't detect a temp for the hdd. Shouldn't they? Grr. I don't wanna have to open this thing up again. Most frustrating hardware to work with. Which is saying a lot since I'm a Tech.

Last edited: