SSD Upgrade - Fan Resolution

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hkbladelawkhk, Feb 26, 2015.

1. hkbladelawkhk macrumors member

So I replaced my internal drive with a 1tb Samsung SSD. And of course had the fans go nuts. I have it resolved using Mac Fan Control, but wanted to know ideal settings. By default, it's definitely more aggressive than stock (as my fans are in the good 1100rpm range now).

I have to change each fan manually (oddly enough the HDD fan doesn't go nuts if left on Auto, just the Optical drive and CPU).

So, What's a good temp range for the three fans to go off of?

Sidetrack: Did I mention that iMacs SUCK to take apart? Why the hell didn't they make it so you can get in them from the back!?

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

This is clearly documented online. It's a result of the proprietary thermal sensor Apple use.

You should buy the thermal sensor from OWC. This will solve the problem entirely so you don't have to live on the edge of damaging your hardware with manual fan control. What year is your iMac?

Yes iMacs are not easily upgradeable. It does not make business sense to make it easy, as they wouldn't sell as many units.

3. hkbladelawkhk thread starter macrumors member

It's not CLEARLY documented online. Everything I found were just news articles with no solid solution.

4. hkbladelawkhk thread starter macrumors member

So I purchased the OWC thermal cable...

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD09/

Yay to having to take apart the mac again....and for spending $80 on it with overnight.

In the meantime, what settings do ya'll recommend for the fans until I get this cable?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Just set a medium fan level at 80'c then full fans at 90'c and it'll see you through.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I remember just shorting out the thermal cable sensor on my 2009 iMac.

7. hkbladelawkhk thread starter macrumors member

I don't like that idea. My luck, I'd break it. I'll be curious to see if the OWC one works....

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

You should like that idea. It's a 2-second mod that costs nothing. Take a twisty-tie, strip the ends off it, and then shove both ends into the fan cable connector. I did that with my 2009, - assume it still works on the later models.

9. hkbladelawkhk, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015

hkbladelawkhk thread starter macrumors member

Well this is messed up

I got the OWC thermal cable (for $80 I might add). Hooked it up, reset the SMC and PRAM and the fans still go nuts.

Side note. It looks like iStat Menus don't detect a temp for the hdd. Shouldn't they? Grr. I don't wanna have to open this thing up again. Most frustrating hardware to work with. Which is saying a lot since I'm a Tech.