SSD upgrade for 2011 MBP 13"...any advice/recommendations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tin88, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Tin88 macrumors member

Lookin at SSD upgrade considering a SATA III . Which one?? OWC 6G, OCZ vertex 3 or Corsair Force Series 3. Anyone who owns one of the three or any advice/recommendations please lemme know

Also any recommendations for Optibay Caddy aka Data doubler.....

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It seems that the Corsair is the one to get based on price/performance, but it's not released yet. If you want one now, I'd get the Vertex 3. I've had no problems with it, and OCZ is a much bigger company than OWC.

As for the optibay, I got one for $10 off eBay and it works fine. I also picked up an Asus external DVD burner from Newegg for $15 since it was cheaper than most enclosures and it included the drive. You can go the $80-100 route, but it seems wasteful.

3. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

The Corsair was just released you can get it from newegg, corsair's site is sold out ive seen a few people ordered them like May 27th-29th, long weekend so they havent got em installed yet...On the HD caddy u got on ebay its a good fit? Not loose or anything cuz i wanna put my SSD in the main HD bay (boot drive) and stock 500gb HD in the optibay

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It seems I should have re-checked the Corsair since I last did 2 weeks ago ;)

I have a 15" so I don't know how it'll fit in yours, but in mine, one of the screw holes keeps it tight, and the wifi bracket is mounted tightly over the optical drive, so that holds it too. The MBP is a thin computer though, so it should be a tight fit regardless.

5. Loops macrumors member

OCZ has historically received the fastest firmware from Sandforce, although any of these newer SSDs should be plenty fast.

You can also check slickdeals periodically to find sales. The Vertex 3 max iops was on sale recently:

http://slickdeals.net/sdsearch.php?...um&showposts=0&sdsearch_archive=0&firstpost=1

6. p1ngputts macrumors member

7. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

The vertex was the first one i considered but I had read a few bad things about em plus i already have Ram from OWC. Thanks for the link...the Vertex Max IOPS should be rated the same as the Corsair on the IOPS with a 10mbs higher max write speed. The only real difference is the rated life of the SSD 1 million hours on Corsair 2 million on Vertex. Do all of these drives have a pain in the ass firmware update process??

8. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

For the OCZ, it's not too much of a pain if you have a Windows PC handy.

9. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

I do but its from like 2005, its a P.O.S...i cant used Parallels with Windows 7?

10. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

11. aldejesus, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

aldejesus macrumors regular

On my personal experience, I can tell you, that I'm a OWC loyal costumer. Why?

Back on february I bought the 120g OWC mercury sata II (3g's), and the disk failed in 2 days (Bad luck;)). I call tech support and got a new one ship overnight and they pay for the shipping of the damage one, with their Fed-ex account. This is something not every company do, and that is the important part when spending money on a SSD. As a VERY SATISFIED costumer today I received my new Mercury Extreme Pro sata III (6g's) and its blazing fast. Even after enabling the Trim support.

So I'm my opinion go with OWC, its a solid company that cares about costumers.

Attached Files: