SSD Upgrade for a mid 2009 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vandrv, Dec 26, 2012.

1. vandrv macrumors regular

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro that I am looking to upgrade to an SSD drive. I have a couple of questions I could really use help with. First, what would be be the best option for a drive? I am looking for one in the 250 gig range, and looking for the best bang for my buck.
    My second question is what would be the best method of installing it? This laptop came with Leopard installed, but had the Snow Leopard disk included. I have since upgraded to Lion. I think I would prefer to start with a fresh install and not just clone my current harddrive, since it probably has a lot of stuff I really don't want on it. Do I need to install Snow leopard and start from there or is there a way I can just install Lion first? I have never done this before, so I am just a bit apprehensive, so any detailed help would be appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

As for SSDs, the Crucial M4 256 GB SSD can be had for less than 150 USD nowadays, the Samsung 830 and 840 are also often recommended. I has a Vertex 3 SSD for a while in my 2009 MBP, but now run that Crucial SSD in it.

As for a fresh install, you need a bootable installer of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, though I do not know, if it is still possible to create one via legal means, if one does not have the InstallESD.dmg stored somewhere.

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps: