SSD Upgrade for a Mid 2010 White Unibody Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Renegade-NewAge, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Renegade-NewAge macrumors newbie

Hello

I am interested in upgrading my macbook's 250 GB HDD to an SSD.

I'd like to get a fast one that can hold about 250 GB as well but I'd like to keep the price at about $150 or under.

Does anyone have experience with upgrading to an SSD or know affordable SSD's for a mid 2010 macbook? Also, any information on the installation of the SSD is much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Samsung 840 Evo. The bottom cover is completely removed by the 10 screws. It is simple from there. This is also a good time to swap the bottom case as part of the recall if affected.

3. Renegade-NewAge thread starter macrumors newbie

already swapped the bottom case when i upgraded the ram. also, do you use the 840 evo? if so, for how long? and has it made a big impact in speed? thanks.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have a 2012 Classic MacBook Pro, so it has the SATA III interface which is faster than the SATA II on your MacBook. I say this as the benchmarks for most SATA III drives will be slower due to your computer's SATA (Hard Drive) controller. There is no way around this.

I got my SSD around the end of January. Prior to the 840 Evo I had a Verbatim SSD in there. It was a piece of junk and I swapped it for the 840. The 840 is four times faster benchmarking, and my Mac boots in under 13 seconds. I do use Trim Enabler to maintain it in good condition.

5. Renegade-NewAge thread starter macrumors newbie

is there a cheaper version of the SSD for SATA II?
    also, how did you install it? did you take out your old hard drive completely? and is the OS on the new SSD? if so, how did you move the OS to the SSD?
    sorry about bombarding you with questions, but i really dont know how this works and any answers would be a huge help.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I removed my older SSD (in your case hard drive) and replaced it with this one. I did a fresh install of OS X and migrated my data off of my USB hard drive that I do backups to. There are ways to clone the drive, but it is always a good time for a fresh start!

My OS (10.9.3) is on my SSD. I have the 120 GB SSD model and it is plenty for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147254&ignorebbr=1

This notebook bundle kit includes the adapter to clone your existing install of OS X and all data to the new SSD. Then replace the hard drive with the SSD and start it up and enjoy the speed. You will be right where you left off.