SSD Upgrade for Macbook Pro (Yosemite, Sandforce)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cato1040, May 21, 2015.

1. cato1040 macrumors newbie

Hi,

We have a Macbook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) and it's really slow now. I am looking to reformat it, then install an SSD to speed it up (may consider exchanging the 4GB of RAM to 8GB later).

I just got a 256GB ADATA SX900 SSD and have yet to install it. It has NAND flash with a SandForce 2281 controller.

I read that with a SandForce controller, I would have no issues with Yosemite. Is this true?

An ideal response would be if you could walk me through the entire installation (hardware and software) but a simple reply on what I need to do on top of cloning it would be extremely helpful as well.

(This is my first post so please forgive me for any faux-pas I may have made.)

Thank you

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The drive should work fine, although Sandforce controller based drives aren't as fast as other SSDs.

Either way, you've got a mid 2010 model, and as long as you've installed all of the updates you can use internet recovery. From internet recovery, you can install of OSX as well as restoring your data from wherever you have it backed up.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

3. cato1040 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I have an April 2010 MacBook Pro 13, as well.

Be aware that this MacBook has only SATA-2 (I believe), so ANY current SSD you put into it -- any one at all -- is going to be "faster than the MacBook's SATA bus".

What this means in practical terms is that an individual drive's speed won't matter at all -- they'll ALL give the same performance.

IMPORTANT:

Don't know if you've done the swap yet, but my thoughts on how to proceed:

First, I recommend that you "prep and test" the new drive BEFORE you install it.
    If you do this, you will KNOW that the drive is operable and bootable before you attempt the "surgery".

I'd recommend an external USB3 enclosure, such as this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/MiniPro-Exter...24722&sr=8-3&keywords=oyen+2.5+usb3+enclosure

I bought one myself -- speedy, easy to install drive.

Put the new SSD into the enclosure (requires only a screwdriver, as easy as it gets).
    Connect to MacBook.
    Initialize with Disk Utility.

At this point you can either put a fresh copy of the OS onto it, but....
    ... if the OS (and everything else) on your internal HDD is working ok now, you could just use CarbonCopyCloner (or SuperDuper) to clone its contents onto the SSD, and have a drive that will be "ready to go" once you do the swap.

After either of the above, TEST the drive while it's still in the external enclosure.
    Restart and hold down the option key until the startup manager appears, then select the external drive and hit return.
    Do you get "a good boot"?
    If so, look around to see if everything is as it should be.
    Now, you're ready to open the MacBook and do the swap.

BE SURE TO USE THE RIGHT TOOLS.
    You'll need a Phillips #00 screwdriver and a TORX T-6 driver.
    Can be found at hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

Go to ifixit.com for the installation guide.
    But actually this "swap" is about as easy as it gets.
    Most of the time is consumed by taking out the screws on the back of the MacBook, and then putting them back in.
    Important: BE CAREFUL with the internal SATA ribbon cable -- can be fragile.

Once you get the drives swapped, put the old one into the external enclosure, and let it become your bootable external backup.

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- That's not entirely accurate. Some low-budget drives - especially in the smaller capacities - won't saturate a SATA II connection. The Crucial BX100, for instance, is rated at a write speed of 185 MB/s in its 120GB model.