Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdwagner888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Hey guys, I cannot find any info on this subject,

I am trying to use my new SSD but do not have my stock apple install disk anymore. How can I go about getting osx on the SSD without a disk? thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hey guys, I cannot find any info on this subject,

I am trying to use my new SSD but do not have my stock apple install disk anymore. How can I go about getting osx on the SSD without a disk? thanks

If you still have the hard drive your removed you can use the free Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the OS and all your data from the old drive to the new one.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
This. But you need a flash drive to boot from.

Actually since he said he doesn't have the original recovery disk he may be talking about snow leopard. I have no idea how to do a fresh install of leopard without the disk. His only option may be cloning his HDD, which isn't ideal for a new SSD.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Actually since he said he doesn't have the original recovery disk he may be talking about snow leopard. I have no idea how to do a fresh install of leopard without the disk. His only option may be cloning his HDD, which isn't ideal for a new SSD.

It might not be ideal, but it works just fine unless there's something already wrong with the current drive. I cloned mine and haven't had any issues at all, and it was much easier than doing a new install of everything and migrating individual files over to the new drive. I just did a good cleaning up of my old files before cloning.

jdwagner888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I guess i will have to clone everything over. A fresh install would still be the best option if i could figure out how to make it work

jdwagner888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Get a flash thumb drive with at least 1GB of memory and click on the link I provided at the beginning of this post.

I was having trouble making a bootable flash drive and as suspected my thumb drive is broken. I used a friends and everything went smooth! thanks!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.