SSD Upgrade / Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacKid1983, Oct 3, 2011.

1. MacKid1983 macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

I have a 09 MBP Lion. I want to upgrade my 160gb HDD to a SSD drive. I have 2 concerns.
    First is I want to know some advice on what a decent SSD drive to purchase.

Second. How do I install Lion, I had downloaded it from the app store so will I have to re-pay for it again or once I get the new SSD installed and everything up and running with the disc that came with my computer, I can re-downlaod it once I am in the app store?

Thanks guys.

2. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

To answer your 2nd question, you can download it for free as long as you are logged into the account that you originally paid for it with.

3. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

1. Do some searching on the forums to see what drive to buy. Many have had issues with SandForce based drives but they are faster. Intel, Samsung, Crucial have been rated pretty highly by forum members, but are a bit slower. In all honesty, on SATAII it wouldn't matter too much

2. In order to redownload Lion from the app store just hold option when clicking on the purchased tab and it'll say "Install" next to it again. Redownload. You can either make an install DVD by following this tutorial. You can also make it into a install USB (much faster) by using Disk utility and formatting an 8GB drive to HFS+ and restoring the drive with the same iso used in the article there.