SSD Upgrade New Samsung SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimbo1mcm, Aug 12, 2011.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I have been very pleased with my Samsung 470 in my 2011 MBP 13. It went in perfectly with no firmware issues and has been working steadily and quite well in 2 laptops. It is a 64GB which is fine right now, but I am thinking about upgrading. I was a little suspicious to see Newegg drop the price on the 128 GB 470 from $229 to $199 and sure enough, Samsung announced a new 6GB drive: The PM 830

Reliability is the key with a SSD. You can't have a SSD with a high failure rate and firmware issues. Samsung has a really good reputation. The new SSD, the PM830 is in volume production for OEM makers and retail versions should be coming along in a few months. My 2011 MBP can take advantage of the 6GB drive. I'll wait and that will be my next upgrade.

2. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Already posted about it here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1210624

But no one seems interested, post it 50 more times and people will respond, seems the norm with some topics on here :roll eyes:

Did you know though that the new drives are the next version of what the Air uses?

3. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Uh oh. I'm awfully close to exchanging my M4 for the 470, since the former has been giving me all sorts of problems (even after a fresh install). Now there's a SATA III offering from Samsung -- I vowed I wouldn't get another SATA III drive and hopefully I stick to it.