SSD upgrade nightmare!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by New Apple, Jun 18, 2012.

1. New Apple, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

New Apple macrumors regular

(joke)

iMac 27'' 2011

well, almost nightmare :D but ended up nicely.

i have got this new 27'', maxed out the ram (16gb owc) and got the Vertex4 SSD (128gb)

so after watching the owc DIY video, gathering all the required stuff (Torx 6 and 10, - screwdriver, sata cable, SSD, 2 suction cups from a toilet object lol...a spare jawbone and more)

i decided to go

after all i must say it was a pain in the *A*
    not about difficult but about 'careful'

you must be careful NOT to break tiny cables
    you must REMEMBER to disconnect and reconnect EVERY cable
    AND to put the screws in order once removed

(probably more)

it is better if you have a second PC-MAC to keep watching and watching again the instructions (OWC video)
    IF you have ISSUES, GOOGLE THE PROBLEM !

once i was close to attach the cable i didn't have a TORX6 screwdriver (only needed for 1 screw, BUT needed!), i had to bike to the shop and spend some money,
    when i closed everything... ... everything 'sounded' good, except :

1) the screen would be black from turn on to off
    2) Fan at crazy speed, endlessly

(= nothing at all, did i break something in there ? omg i gotta reopen the whole thing ???????, i watched the OWC video again, step by step, AHHHHH behind the LCD there are 4 Cables to plug/unplug, NOT 3 ! (2 close to each other)

opened, removed the screen glass, unscrewed the 4+4 on the sides, there it is, unplugged the evil little cable (screen power maybe?)

re-attached, cleaned, connected, kissed

1-2-3 power on,--------PRAY--------, YES
    phew (was already thinking of spending money for fixing it and what to say to the genius)

then spent the rest of the evening doing time machine of the HDD and restoring it into the SSD

all is done now, i would do everything again (NOT TOMORROW!) a part putting again the sata cable behind the motherboard (not so comfortable) and bringing up and down the whole iMac (heavy)

if you aren't used with computers inside
    if you have weak arms
    and if you have little patience

avoid it, otherwise do it.

PS: the OCZ Vertex4 also requires some FW upgrade with a linux tool (booting from a cd-dvd) which required more boot ups (i had FW 1.3 vs 1.4.1.3)

OWC Diy Video :
    http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid27_2011_ssddiy_h/
    SSD Install Guide :
    http://www.btobey.com/learn/imac-ssd-install.php
    OCZ SSD Vertex4 model Forums :
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...-and-Octane-S2-(SATA2)-Discussion-and-Support
    OCZ SSD OSx Forums :
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?237-OCZ-SSD-Support-for-Linux-and-Apple-OSX

:D cheers

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

A good tip....I used to build computers and am totally comfortable upgrading, installing new hardware etc. which I still do for buddies, but there is NO way I would attempt surgery on my iMac except for the RAM upgrade. It's splitting that screen on a 27" that worries me. I toyed with the idea of an SSD a while back, but settled on the 4TB pegasus unit instead...As you point out, it's not a job to tackle if you are not 100% confident and have all the tools to hand.

I'd be perfectly happy opening a Pro and installing things....The iMac just isn't user friendly when it comes to stuff like this.

3. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Come on it a lot easier than you described i open my imac in one minutes 8 screws and four lcd easy cables..

4. New Apple thread starter macrumors regular

if you have opening 'experience' and iMac 2011 'structure' knowledge i do not doubt you can make a quick 'swat blitz'

it was my first time into a Mac and iMac product, so i was a bit into a dark room, i had to follow the instructions like a gps:)

5. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

The first time is always hard i remember mine.

Well done for your successful operation :cool:

6. dannywaugh1 macrumors member

7. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I imagine either USB stick or internet recovery.

8. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I spent about a little over an hour when I did my install, but I made sure to go slow, take my time, and had a printed guide and a youtube video as I went along. In the end it was all worth it.

Now prying open the logic board and going behind there to place another SATA cable, that is something I haven't been willing to try yet.

9. New Apple thread starter macrumors regular

- Time Machine system copy from the HDD
    - 'restore' it into the empty SSD
    - Startup Disk change