SSD Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TOMIMOT, Apr 1, 2013.

1. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

So I currently own a 2011 early model of the MBP 15'. 2.0 GHz quad core i7 processor. I've been thinking about it and figured I want to upgrade to an SSD to get the most out of my Mac which is already 2 years old. I am having a hard time picking out an SSD for my specific mac. I am not sure if its a SATA 3GB/s or a 6 GB/s. Oh and price is not an issue, I'm also not sure if there is a 1 TB SSD out yet...If not 512GB is what I will be wanting. So ya if anyone could shine some light and tell me what SSD would be great for my specific model of MBP. Much appreciated thanks!

(note: I did take a look at the SSD buying guide thread, I'm just a little confused and want clarification thats all.)

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Samsung 840 is a great model and relatively inexpensive.
    Sansumg 840 Pro is more expensive but faster.

If you are not going to be doing anything that demands crazy speed, just go for the 840 or the Crucia m4.

The 512 GB 840 is around 350-400, or less on sale. Look at newegg.com for some good deals.

3. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

Since you are willing to get 1tb, wait a bit for the crucial m500, it will come in a 960gb version, should be priced around 600.

Aside that there are the usual suspects, like crucial m4, the samsung 840 pro, an if you can find the samsung 830

4. TOMIMOT thread starter macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

would the 840 be compatible with my mac? sorry I'm a little noobish when it comes to technical stuff like picking out a new hard drive. I'm assuming mine is a SATA 6GB/s?

5. Orlandoech, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

The "SSD Buying Guide" sucks and its NO guide at all. It infuriates me the Mods dont remove that horrible, useless, ranting thread.

Samsung 840 Pro
    Samsung 840
    Crucial M4

My SSD Benchmark Comparison thread might help you pick an SSD.

When you do buy and install, see my helpful SSD Tweaking Guide to get the most out of the SSD.

----------

Any 2.5" 10mm (or is it 9mm?) or smaller SATA II/III SSD is compatible. They dont make MAC only SSDs because the hardware for a PC is the same for a Mac when it comes to Memory, HDD, CPU.

6. TOMIMOT thread starter macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

thanks man! pretty much summed up everything i wanted to know and ill also check out your thread

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sorry my friend, but you are WAY out of line here. That thread was started over 20 months ago by MR member Hellhammer and no doubt now contains a bit of outdated info in the earlier posts, just like your thread will in 20 months. But if you look through the thread for his personal recommendations, there is some solid info there. Hellhammer is Kristian Vatto and writes SSD reviews for Anandtech. The young man knows more about SSDs than you could ever hope to understand. Just read some of his reviews. He knows what he is talking about.

Here is his most recent SSD recommendation in the thread from a few weeks ago. So... "horrible, useless, ranting thread"... yeah... not so much.