ssd upgrade will void warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by youpey, Feb 26, 2009.

1. youpey macrumors member

update on page 2 post 1 and 2

i called both apple and an apple store and they both told me i can't purchase an ssd drive from apple unless it was at the time of purchasing the computer.

i then asked if i were to buy my own ssd and install since the hdd is an upgradeable part, would it void my warranty.

both the apple store and apple told me it would void the warranty of the entire computer. i even verified the entire computer warranty, not just they wouldnt cover the drive.

this doesnt make sense since the ssd was an option, and since it is a user upgradable part

ugh

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

That doesn't make any sense to me at all. Apple has outlined the HDD as a user-upgradeable part, so what kind of drive you put in there shouldn't make a difference. SSD's are just SATA drives, like any other drive...

3. youpey thread starter macrumors member

call them and ask yourself.both the store and apple said it will

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

IT. WON'T. VOID. YOUR. WARRANTY.

do i need to say it again?

5. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Worst case scenario, keep the original HD and if you ever have a problem, swap them out. No one will ever be the wiser. But again, I contend that as a defined user-upgradeable part, it shouldn't void the warranty.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

IT WONT VOID THE WARRANTY

APPLE GIVE INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO DO IT IN YOUR LAPTOP MANUAL

The Applecare people you spoke to must have been pot smokers or something.

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

I wonder if they thought he had an MB Air? That would void the warranty.

8. youpey thread starter macrumors member

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

he said one with a user replaceable hd in his first post

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Which limits it to either MB or unibody MBP...

Sorry missed that, very tired atm, OP, it WON'T void your warranty, ignore what the apple people said, they must've been new.

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

OK, let me put it like this, the Hard Drive is so easy to change even a monkey could do it. Theres no way Apple can tell if you've done it as long as you dont break anything while doing it, but thats unlikely, because as i said, a monkey could do it.

If something goes wrong with your laptop, simply slide the old hard drive back in, and take it to an Apple store, and play dumb :) 110% guaranteed to work.

13. couto27 macrumors 6502

thats a good option.
    another option is you can use is:
    1- remove your old hd
    2- make sure you make a lot damage until it fails.
    3-insert failed old hard drive
    4-take it to guarantee
    5- update for an ssd for 200$ less

dont worry it wont void guarantee because is upgradable , see the case of memorys , the only guarantee you lose is from the old hard drive.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It doesn't void the warranty of any computer if the instructions are printed in the user manual; even the classic MacBook Pro computers without the instructions allow upgrading the HDD without voiding your warranty.

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I have removed my superdrive to have a blu-ray drive there, replaced my hard drive, even modified my screens, and Apple have still repaired my computer under Applecare, they only care if you break it in the process.

16. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Where did you find a thin, slot-loading blu-ray drive?

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Google?

18. youpey thread starter macrumors member

i am going to call one more time. if by chance the person says it will not void the warranty, i am going to ask for written confirmation (by email).

i do not do shady deals, so i am not going to install an SSD, and if i have a problem remove it before i go to apple. i just wouldnt feel right.

if i cant get confirmation that it will not void my warranty then i am not taking the plunge.

i agree it makes no sense that installing a SATA drive on a computer with a SATA controller, where the manufacturer states the HDD is a user upgradable component, would void a warranty. it just seems weird that i would talk to two people and both said the exact same thing, which is why i want written confirmation.

19. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I don't see what's so shady. You're buying a SSD drive, not from Apple, you're installing it yourself instead of having them install it. I wouldn't expect Apple to cover that part of the computer but certainly everything else. Removing the drive if there's a problem will take away the inevitable your drive is bad or it/you caused the problem. They'll usually try and blame anything they can (except Apple) to avoid fixing a machine.

21. mstout macrumors member

Go to Apple store. Ask for a manager. You'll get the straight story from them. Good luck.

22. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Still 12.7mm and way too expensive, Sony has one on newegg.com at just over $300 for BDROM. I'm not aware of a slot loading 9.5mm Blu-ray reader or writer from anyone.

Cheers,

23. jbussiere macrumors member

It won't void your warranty.

Don't worry, it will not void your warranty.
    My girlfriend had a unibody macbook and she called apple one day about taking the back off and they told her it would void the warranty. How can that void the warranty if that is how you change the ram?? THey just say those things to try to get you to not do it...why? I have no idea.

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Even on the first generation pros you can swap out the entire logic board for a honda civic engine so long as you don't break anything and restore the original innards before trying to get warranty service. You got lied to. It even states on their sales page that the drives are upgradable. They probably didn't know what an SSD Was.