SSD upgrade worth it on a 2007 MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brainwave89, May 17, 2012.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2006
    I have a white 2007 Macbook with 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo and 2GB of RAM. My hard drive is the original 80GB that came with the machine. I don't have much on it but was wondering what you thought if I replaced it with a 120GB SSD.

I am getting tired of seeing the beach ball and I am just using the laptop mainly for email, internet browsing and some pictures.

Have you done it? If so, was it worthwhile?

The machine is ok but I would rather not purchase a new MBP yet. The $200 for a good SSD seems tempting.
  2. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Apr 1, 2008
    Yes! I replaced the 80GB HDD in my 2008 MBA with a 128GB SSD and its still used daily by my girlfriend for internet, mail, office stuff, etc.

I think SSD is probably the most noticeable hardware upgrade I've ever seen over all the years of chasing speed with processor and memory changes on a PC.
  3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

Mar 22, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    Actually yes.
    The SSD helps the MacBook in terms of application opening, reading, writing, etc.
  4. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

Mar 26, 2012
    Lodz, Poland
    I bought my girlfriend a 2008 Macbook 2,0 GHz - originally it had 1GB RAM and 80GB HDD, but the previous owner upgraded it to 2GB RAM and 320 HDD - and I never saw a beachball on it and my girlfriend does basically the same stuff as you do: Safari, iTunes, Open Office etc.
    Therefore I think the beach ball may not be a case of the HDD. The 2,0 GHz Macbook seems a quite lively little machine:)