SSD upgrade worth it on a 2007 MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brainwave89, May 17, 2012.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

I have a white 2007 Macbook with 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo and 2GB of RAM. My hard drive is the original 80GB that came with the machine. I don't have much on it but was wondering what you thought if I replaced it with a 120GB SSD.

I am getting tired of seeing the beach ball and I am just using the laptop mainly for email, internet browsing and some pictures.

Have you done it? If so, was it worthwhile?

The machine is ok but I would rather not purchase a new MBP yet. The $200 for a good SSD seems tempting.

2. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Yes! I replaced the 80GB HDD in my 2008 MBA with a 128GB SSD and its still used daily by my girlfriend for internet, mail, office stuff, etc.

I think SSD is probably the most noticeable hardware upgrade I've ever seen over all the years of chasing speed with processor and memory changes on a PC.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Actually yes.
    The SSD helps the MacBook in terms of application opening, reading, writing, etc.

4. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

I bought my girlfriend a 2008 Macbook 2,0 GHz - originally it had 1GB RAM and 80GB HDD, but the previous owner upgraded it to 2GB RAM and 320 HDD - and I never saw a beachball on it and my girlfriend does basically the same stuff as you do: Safari, iTunes, Open Office etc.
    Therefore I think the beach ball may not be a case of the HDD. The 2,0 GHz Macbook seems a quite lively little machine:)