SSD upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redsoxaa, Jul 15, 2013.

1. redsoxaa macrumors member

So I have a 2010 Macbook Pro that I am looking to replace with a retina model once they are refreshed, but I was wondering if I should install an ssd in the meantime. I saw a 250gb samsung ssd on sale for $150 and I wonder if it would be worthwhile for the speed boost while waiting out the updates and also how much that will boost/help resale value. Thanks in advance.

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

SSD will surely boast your speed, you want to sell your mbp and make up the ssd money you paid is anyone guess.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Installing the SSD may make you forget about upgrading. It will make your machine seem like new. My MBP was feeling kinda slow and the SSD made it seem like a brand new machine.

4. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

At $100 to $150 for a 2010 machine, it's worth it. Much more than that and you should just apply that money towards the rMBP upgrade. On a 2010 machine this will be a virtually sunk cost.

>

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

For $150, it's definitely worth the upgrade. It won't be of any benefit to resale value, though. Keep your old hard drive, put it back in your machine when you're ready to sell it, and part out the SSD separately. You'll get more money that way.

6. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

This!