SSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by High Desert, Apr 28, 2016.

1. High Desert macrumors regular

Anyone interested in doing an inexpensive upgrade, based on prices I have been seeing, may be interested in this. I got an e-mail from Simply Mac on SSD upgrades, as follows:

240 gb SSD installed for $185

480 gb SSD installed for $259

960 gb SSD installed for $429

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can get a 500GB Samsung 850 evo for $150. Installation is a 15 minute job.

Are these upgrade prices for rMBP?

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

A friend with an iMac forwarded that email to me and there wasn't a lot of detail given. Does it include cloning from the original drive?

I agree with T5BRICK...for an upgradeable MacBook Pro it's just too easy to do yourself.

For an iMac, if they don't include cloning, it would probably be better to buy an SSD, clone it yourself, and have them put it in...if they'll do that. Their website says they'll do a "repair" for $130. Not a small amount but most everyday users wouldn't want to crack open any computer.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep, pre-retina MBPs, the installation is a snap, I've done it myself and 15 minutes is probably too much time. Its a quick and simple job.

Upgrading Retina MBPs is possible as well, though a bit slower and you need to find the correct SSD.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Restoring from a time machine backup is easy, but not necessarily quick. I've done it a few times and it always finishes overnight.

6. High Desert thread starter macrumors regular

T5BRICK - i think you may be right that these are for older (non retina) units. I went back and re looked at the note form SimplyMac and it did not specify. Based on price, it must be older version of macbook.