SSD upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by almost30boohoo1, May 21, 2009.

1. almost30boohoo1 macrumors newbie

If you purchased an aluminum model macbook. Is it possible to remove the hard drive, and replace it with a 64GB SSD?

2. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

4. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have a intel ssd in my macbook. Easy to do. The speed is crazy. Enjoy!!!

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

After the upgrade, just run the Restore DVD to reinstall the OS.

6. Toofan macrumors member

Wait...

Wait a minute. Have you thought about this? Solid state drives offer huge advantages and disadvantages. What are you going to be using the laptop for?

I hope you realize that after too many reads and writes on a solid state drive, the memory is pretty much rendered useless. The original intent and purpose behind solid state machines was to have storage without any moving components, used for a thin client to remotely access other machines. Infact many solid state drive PC's ask you to restart the machine / commit changes, before you can save anything for the very purposes of limiting writing to the solid state drive.

7. glitch44 macrumors 65816

You are completely out of touch with the performance and lifespan of SSDs. If you write 100 GB a day, every day, modern solid state drives will last at least 5 years. As OSes implement the TRIM command, lifespan and performance will increase more and more.

You can read this 31 page document to get up to speed: link.

8. Germwise macrumors regular

the best solution would be to have 2 storage devices on a laptop.

a 32-64 gb SSD to install OS and software and temporary files and a hard drive to handle large data blocks like music collection etc.

I think thats where the industry will go soon

9. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I doubt it. While I would agree, it seems like a great solution, it's only temporary and a bad marketing idea. The pricing on SSDs are dropping dramatically, seemingly every week or so. As this happens, the demand will grow, the companies fill their quota, the prices will level off, and then companies will have to research new technologies to get ahead of competitors. This will result it just pricing and increased storage capacities.

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...Sony laptops have been offering this solution for a couple yrs now on their ultra portable 11" and 13" models but they "were" crazy expensive... with the SSD price drops I hadn't looked lately though as Sony's customer service sucks and I'd never buy another Sony product again (unless they gave it to me for free so I could trash it if it broke and not worry about a service call)...

11. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

But like I said, I doubt the market is going to be there in two years. It's a temporary marketing solution and not the best out of that.