SSD Upgrades for MBPr?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by THOPMedia, Jul 25, 2015.

1. THOPMedia macrumors regular

THOPMedia

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013). At the time of purchase there were no upgrade options for the internal 250 GB SSD. Are there options available now?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Nothing from 3rd parties. You can find used SSDs that were pulled out of other rMBPs though.

3. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

eBay is your friend. 500GB is $350-400, 1TB is around $650.

4. VesselA macrumors regular

wow thats quite shocking - 2 years on and you can't buy a new ssd to upgrade - I was thinking of buying a new macbook pro more cheaply with the 128 GB storage and upgrading after a few months, but looks like this is an issue also as it only accepts a new PCIe type which isn't 3rd party available yet.

And I learn that apple no longer enable upgrading of RAM in the 13 inch macbook pro so you need to buy more to future proof - and the pros were supposed to be about flexibility in part - disappointing

5. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No thats only for the 2012 early 2013, after that the connection was changed to a proprietry connector that no one else uses.

7. THOPMedia thread starter macrumors regular

THOPMedia

Yep, confirmed. None of the manufactures are building ssd upgrade options for the MBPr late 2013 and up Models.

Got an email from Transcend saying that they still have no time frame for even beginning development of an upgrade option.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

No they don't.

Anything late 2013 or newer has no upgrades whatsoever available from third parties.

9. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Yeah, that pissed off a lot of people. I know I was one lol, a lot didn't realize/know they changed the connector after late '13+ but would see the options available for ones before that making you think oh awesome we have 3rd party SSDs available...... not exactly:mad: . So Apple forces you to pay out the a$$ for their SSDs.

And like said in another post above, companies have confirmed they basically have nothing in the works nor will in the foreseeable future, if at all, thank you Apple :rolleyes:

10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP wrote above:
    "Got an email from Transcend saying that they still have no time frame for even beginning development of an upgrade option."

I would not buy a retina MacBook Pro with an intention to "upgrade the SSD" in the future -- because in all likelihood, the chances of such an upgrade becoming available are quite small at best, and zero at worst.

Buy the MacBook with the size of the drive you need for the life of the machine...