SSD Upgrades in Late 2013 rMBP

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
There are none at this time, and given the amount of time that's gone by I think it's a reasonable guess that there aren't going to be any in the near future. Your only source is probably a place like the big auction site.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Has anyone heard if there are aftermarket upgrades for late 2013 rMBPs, 2014 MBAs, etc.? I've heard companies like OWC and Transcend are working on upgrades, but I haven't seen anything yet. The closest I've seen is this for the new Mac Pros: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura-for-Mac-Pro/

Does anyone know if these upgrades are compatible with rMBPs?
There are no third party upgrades for the PCIe blades in Haswell Macs.

Apple uses a proprietary (non-M.2/NGFF) blade PCIe SSD.

My best guess is because since it's a proprietary form factor, Apple threatened to sue anyone who made SSD upgrades for it.

guzhogi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
There are no third party upgrades for the PCIe blades in Haswell Macs.

Apple uses a proprietary (non-M.2/NGFF) blade PCIe SSD.
I've heard that, thanks.

My best guess is because since it's a proprietary form factor, Apple threatened to sue anyone who made SSD upgrades for it.
Only thing is, why are 3rd party PCIE SSD blades for the Mac Pro out? Would they work in MacBook Pros? I apologize if I sound snarky. Just a little confused.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I've heard that, thanks.

Only thing is, why are 3rd party PCIE SSD blades for the Mac Pro out? Would they work in MacBook Pros? I apologize if I sound snarky. Just a little confused.
They will, but OWC has stated that the thermal capacities of the 3rd-party nMP SSDs have not been tested with the rMBPs, and you wouldn't want to damage your rMBP.