SSD users (M4 specifically), what is your boot up speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Suno, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I have a boot up speed of 42.3 seconds. The SSD itself is still functioning perfectly fine, and Blackmagic disk test still gives me the same high results as the first day, but boot up speed is still that high. I was wondering if that's normal for you guys too?

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

3. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Sounds odd! From power button to ready-to-use I run about 10 seconds with dual M4's in RAID 0. 6 seconds from the poster above is pretty stinking quick, I haven't even seen that in YouTube videos or anything. Are you just guessing or did you test that with a stopwatch?

Anyway, I would look at what kind of applications you have running at bootup. See if you can disable (one at a time) startup programs and find out which one is the culprit.

4. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Varies around 8 to 12 seconds. Don't think it's ever gone above that though. It might be your RAM because when your system starts up it retrieves temporarily saved data from it.

5. el-John-o macrumors 65816

It doesn't retrieve data from the RAM, once RAM loses power (such as when the machine is turned off) it loses all of it's data. Mac OS can, if asked to, take information in the RAM, and store it in your hard drive for the next boot, but even that wouldn't provide consistently poor boot times.

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I have an M4 in my 17", boot time is almost 5 seconds.

7. spartacvs macrumors member

Try this

System Preferences > Startup Disk > SSD and restart.

Mine is about 12 seconds.

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Including the white uEFI boot screen? 8 seconds.

Not including? About 4-5 seconds.

I'm running an 830, not an M4.

9. throAU, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I dont have SSD, but my hybrid boots in about 14 sec from power button press (including mac chime, efi, etc).

Something is wrong in your case...

edit:
    Mine was "timed" counting "1 thousand, 2 thousand", etc... so it is approximate.

I'm pretty sure my MBP with spinning disc only (as from the factory) was faster than 42 sec? Or close to it, anyway.

10. Suno thread starter macrumors 6502

Suno

Well now that concerns me. Pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the SSD since everything functions still fine. Moving files around and day to day things work at super speed, but it's just the start up time that's oddly slow.

In fact, it's been like this since day 1 of my Macbook (I manually replaced it to my M4 as soon as I got it). I've always heard about how blazingly fast it is to boot it up, so I thought it was odd when mine took longer than that.

And yes, I timed it.

11. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Yeah sorry I dont know why I was thinking that. Trust me I'm not that stupid hahah. :cool: To keep this relevant heres a video I took of a restart, took it like 8 months ago after the M4 was first installed.
    [​IMG]

12. spartacvs macrumors member

Did you do what I said a few post back?

13. Suno thread starter macrumors 6502

Suno

I'm looking at the preference, but I don't quite understand what you mean by SSD and restart. On my Startup Disk page, there's a icon of my harddrive labled Mac OS X, 10.8.2. Should I restart that?

14. el-John-o macrumors 65816

That must be the difference. I keep seeing these numbers and thinking 'How?'. I don't have the fastest SSD on the planet but even so, 4 or 5 seconds seems insane. But I've always considered a 'boot time' to mean the time between pressing the power button, and being at the desktop with the dock, any icons, etc. Which for me is around 10 seconds.

15. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I figured as much!

The boot time is about the same as mine, despite being a RAID 0 setup. RAID 0 nearly doubles the read/write speeds, but it doesn't seem to affect boot times any bit noticeably. To be perfectly honest, I did the RAID 0 thing in order to get more storage a bit cheaper (the two drives were about $100 cheaper than one drive of the same capacity as the two combined), I don't know that the performance gain, even though on paper it's 'double' can be felt. I suspect the CPU and access times are a reason for that. The exception would be very large file transfers, or copying within the drive... but how often does anyone do that! (within the same drive, not from one drive to another)

16. spartacvs macrumors member

Yes, that's the one

17. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

RAID0 boot times aren't any faster because it's a software RAID. The system has to load the kernel cache off the boot drive (a copy of the cache files should be on both of the drives,) which it is only going to do from a single drive. Once that's done, and the software RAID kext(s) have loaded, only then will you get the performance boost from the RAID0 configuration. But, by that time, most of the boot process is already done.

If you want faster boot times with RAID0, you need a hardware-based RAID configuration ... which doesn't exist in laptops, to my knowledge. Then again, when you have a hardware-based RAID controller in the system, it increases the POST time of the system too, so in the long run, your boot times (starting from power-on to login) probably won't be any faster then either.

18. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

What spartacys means is that you have to make sure that that icon is selected as your startup disk. Click on it and then you should see a message just beneath the window that declares "You have selected XYZ as your startup disk"

Once you've done that then restart and your boot time should be significantly faster.

__

19. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

42 seconds? My HDD booted in little over 20 seconds, there must be something wrong.

My 128GB M4 boots in little over 10 seconds.

20. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

21. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I had slow boot times on my first SSD, an Intel 160GB, until I manually selected it as the boot drive in System Preferences (as suggested above by other posters).

Apparently when you swap out the HDD the computer can get 'confused' and search for the original before deciding to boot from the new SSD - killing the boot time.

I have an M4 in my 2012 MBP and it boots 6-10 secs. I might also add it ***** itself the other day and had to be reformatted. Luckily I had a clone to go back to.

22. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

after it gets through post, about 5 seconds.

approx 10-13 seconds from cold boot, iirc.

23. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

At the OP, who installed the drive for you? It seems unlikely to be a hardware issue since you get good numbers on the disk test. What was your initial boot speed when you first installed it? Has it changed/increased since then?

Even with a plethora of log in items, an SSD equiped Mac should not take more than ~20s to boot, max. My Air with its 3Gbps SSD boots in around 15 and when I had my 512GB M4 in a PC, it booted in less than 10. Hell, my PowerBook G4 with a slow PATA 32GB SSD boots in around 30-35s.

I would also check to make sure you have it selected as your startup disk. I've never had to do this myself, but I've heard this sometimes causes problems.

24. spartacvs macrumors member

This! I was using an iPad to reply last night and too lazy to elaborate on it. I did this on my mac mini and mbp after installing an SSD and it worked after restart.