ssd vertex 3 on macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andremeo, Aug 28, 2011.

1. andremeo macrumors newbie

Hi sorry for my bad english, but I'm italian! xD
    I have a macbook pro 13 'mid 2010 and I was going to buy a vertex 3.
    I have a confusion about the support trim. Lion does not support trim
    SSDs third parties, but the trim extends the life of the ssd.
    Someone says that of the SSD sandForce chipset is not necessary but others say that if there is best, what is the truth?
    I read that you can use the trim enabler for but turn on Vertex problems, right? I also found this link http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/ where he explains that due to damage trim enabler of mac os lion and tells how enable mac os lion trim for all ssd. Does anyone know give me some more information on what to do?
    Last question, before mounting the vertex should I upgrade the firmware or just mount it without updating the firmware? thank you to all:)

2. v654321, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

v654321 macrumors member

If you can, try to always update the firmware before hooking it up. Before you do that, try to first see what improvements have been made in the firmware to see if it's beneficial to update it. Though most firmware updates run flawlessly, you may very well brick your disk before you even used it. ;-)

As for me personally, I've installed an Agility 3 in my 2010 MBP and enabled Trim support in Lion using the same instructions as on the URL that you list.

You also have TRIM enabler that you can use, though it's not advised since this one replaced the 10.7 driver with a 10.6 one. The above mentioned method works flawlessly without replacing any driver as far as I know. My System Info is correctly showing TRIM enabled for my disk.

Good luck :)

3. dsio macrumors regular

The best advice I can give you is do not update the firmware, do not enable TRIM and just use the SSD as it is intended. There is no problem with running it on the stock 2.02 firmware with no TRIM, there is however a world of pain for those that decide to screw around with them.

4. v654321 macrumors member

Why wouldn't you enable TRIM when using an SSD?

5. dsio macrumors regular

Why wouldn't you wear a feather hat when using an SSD?

Its the same reason.

6. v654321 macrumors member

7. andremeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer, good! then you have not had any problems so far activating trim? slow startup, beach balls ...

goodo answer! xD
    Sorry maybe I'm wrong, but does not support trim extends the life of the ssd?
    Maybe the chipset SandForce use their garbage collection so they can do without the support trim? So what's the point of support equip vertex trim hardware if it is useless to use it ..

8. dsio macrumors regular

TRIM isn't necessary on Sandforce SSDs, and there have been some people have rather serious problems as a result of enabling it. Some people don't have issues with it enabled, but there's little point. I've hammered my 240GB with VMs, filled it to capacity over and over since I installed it, no performance degradation or issues, and frankly you're not going to have any issues with the life of it anyway by depending on the Sandforce garbage collection.

The string of complains people have with these drives almost always involve firmware upgrades and TRIM enabling under OSX, and you don't need to do either of those things in order to use it, so why bother.