SSD vs 4GB ram upgrade for 2006 macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by easyryder2oo4, Oct 30, 2012.

1. easyryder2oo4 macrumors newbie

Hey y'all, i got a 2006 macbook with 2.0ghz intel core 2 duo with 2GB ram, 160gb hd, and running snow leopard. Thinking of updatin her by either installing a 128gb ssd (i'm not using all 160gb on my current hd; i have an external drive where i store all my files) vs. a 4gb ram. The cost of the two is fairly close. On amazon, the 128gb ssds are approximately $70-80 for the samsung, transcend, kingston, or OCZ brands. And the 4gb ram (2 x2gb) is approximately $50-60, and the macbook is only going to utilize 3+ something gb out of the 4gb. Which of the upgrades would give me the best bang for the buck in terms of speed and performance? Or can i get away with buying both an SSD and just buying a 2gb ram for around $20 and just upgrade to 3gb ram (unmatched; 1x1gb (from factory), 1x2gb)? Thanks in advance!

2. soapsudz macrumors member

I did both the SSD and RAM upgrades on a 2010 Macbook and it totally transformed it :) Turned the thing into a much more responsive computer.

I also have a 2006 Macbook, the first-gen model like yours. It can't use the full 4GB RAM anyway so I think it's better to just go for the 2GB RAM upgrade. A decent SSD will completely transform it by greatly reducing load times. A cheaper SSD model would be good enough, I think this Macbook model only supports 1.5 Gbps SATA connections.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The RAM would probably help the most, but seeing as the MacBook can't utilize all of the 4GB, then a SSD would be the best option. The SSD will also make page-outs from lack of RAM less noticeable, being faster than a standard HDD.

4. easyryder2oo4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like i'll be upgrading the macbook with a SSD! lol I was kind of leaning more towards that anyway since i can reuse the SSD later on if i want to transfer it to a new laptop. And on top of that, i can put the old hard drive in an enclosure device and use it as external hard drive. Sounds like a win-win situation! :) thanks for the replies!

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You could also reuse RAM in another laptop, although it's you'd be hard pressed to find a new laptop that doesn't already have 4GB+ RAM in it :eek: