SSD vs 500 GB 7200rpm Disk in 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mfinocchiaro, Aug 11, 2009.

1. mfinocchiaro macrumors newbie

mfinocchiaro

Hi everyone,
    I want to upgrade from my mid-2008 MBP 15" to the mid-2009 17" MBP and am hesitating as to whether to fork out the extra 500€ for the 256GB SSD over the 500GB 7200 RPM one. I read here and elsewhere that there are some issues (recently corrected via firmware patch?) with noise and performance on the 500GB 7200RPM but my concerns are primarily with the write performance of the SSD. Anyone have data or pointers to data on how well VMware Fusion does running on an SSD? I am concerned that since it will be fairly write-intensive that it will be less optimal than on a standard spindle drive. Comments? Ideas?
    Otherwise, probably not worth the extra €€ for the 3.06GHz over the 2.8GHz? Certainly the anti-glare screen is a must...as well as the mini-port adapters for DVI and VGA for those pesky retroprojectors...
    Any advice would be nice...

2. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Are you planing on buying these upgrade from Apple?

Newegg and Monoprice can save you a lot of money

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I money is not an issue, I would go for the SSD from a third party vendor over the Apple option if it saves you money and the performance of said unit is really good. I'm waiting for SSD 500GB prices to come down and make the upgrade which I figure will be by years end :cool:

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Well the SSD is much faster in opening applications, booting up etc. I believe it also has a slightly better battery life for the machine, as it has no moving parts, however this won't be very noticable.

Enjoy your machine (Y) :apple:

5. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I'm doing both. 160GB SSD + OptiBay + 500GB 7200RPM drive for storage.