SSD vs 7200 rpm Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by catgo, Oct 14, 2008.

1. catgo macrumors member

After reading specs all afternoon, I've decided I'll replace my sluggish 1.6 MBA with a Macbook. I will need the computer for email, web browsing, itunes and word/excel. I will not be editing photos, music or any other intensive tasks on this machine since I have my mac pro for that purpose. Im considering purchasing the 2.0 with the SSD or the 2.4 and adding a 200-320 7200 rpm drive. What i basically want is to make the computer boot up faster, open apps faster and be more responsive overall. Would these 2 configurations be similar in terms of the performance I'm looking for? Which one should I get. Any 7200rpm HDD's recommendations?

Thanks

2. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

buying the SSD from apple is like buying RAM from apple, don't do it. Buy from newegg. It's cheaper, AND you have an extra hard drive to do what you want with (external, sell, etc)

3. catgo thread starter macrumors member

Will the quality of the ssd's apple will sell be better of those newegg sells? I checked and newegg prices go from around $380-$499, I wonder how will their performance compare to the ssd apple will be installing.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

actually...the ram from apple isnt THAT much more expensive than other places now...they are actually right with the competition...

theyre offering the 4GB upgrade for 150 bucks if you get it with the macbook...newegg is offering them at 145 bucks all the way to 225 thats the US store, CA store is 200-260 bucks for that upgrade...

OWC is selling the upgrade for 140...

so it seems like apple finally listened to consumers about theyre ridiculous upgrade prices...and actually fixed it...

5. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

It depends on SSD. We currently don't know what brand does Apple offer. I'd wait for more reviews. Good SSD will give you things you want (especially shorter boot time and application load time), but some SSDs can be slower than good HDDs when multitasking (i.e. decompressing a huge file and playing video from the disk at the same time).

6. catgo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. I'll definitely wait to see some reviews. Im currently debating between the MB with a GOOD SSD (we'll have to wait and see) and a entry level macbook pro, since their prices are almost the same. I'll see how it goes and wait a couple of days to make my decision.

Thanks Again.

7. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I ordered the SSD. At $500, you're not going to save very much by doing it yourself. Just depends on how much you value your time. Some people would spend all day to save $5, so take the advice here with a grain of salt.

I'm confident that even a crappy SSD is going to be miles better than a 54oo RPM HD. Seriously, who uses such a slow drive in a notebook any more outside of an ultraportable. So slow.

8. catgo thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you, I prefer to avoid the hassle of changing the drive myself, I don't think the price is that unreasonable. My main concern is the actual benefit an SSD drive would bring in terms of boot times and opening apps. If there isn't much of an advantage I think i'd rather go for the MBP at almost the same price.

9. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

If you can afford it, like the size; the new MBA is a vast improvement over the one you have now, read up on this new MBA, you might be persuaded to upgrade to that instead. Added benefit (I haven't checked to be sure 1st) is that if the old PATA interface has been replaced to newer SATA 3Gb/s standard, you could replace your HD with a 256GB SSD for about that same price as the other poster is quoting you for the 128GB SSD. Or you could opt for the very highest performance SSD, and pay a bit more....er, pay much more, and you'll likely not notice the performance difference btw current slower SSD and the very fastest (IBM has the current leader in read performance with both of their 80GB SSD's , normal & 'extreme' model of SSD which is currently around $600). Of course the MBA is still flawed with no internal optical drive, unlike the PC competitors ;)

edit: oh damn, brainfart, meant to write Intel, not IBM :D

Be aware that there are anecdotal reports of problems using 3rd party SSD's from some manufacturers in some notebook computers---was being mentioned for Super Talent SSD's IIRC, on newegg customer feedback. Check on that, get an SSD from a retailer where you can get a refund, without paying huge restocking charges, should the SSD not work properly/well with your chosen model.

Going with the Apple installed SSD's has some advantages, but you'll get a longer warranty than Apple offers(assumes you don't buy the expensive Apple Care option), if you buy a 3rd party drive, IIRC at least one of the SSD manufacturers is now offering a 3yr warranty.

10. catgo thread starter macrumors member

Don't get mw wrong I love the design of my macbook air, the only problem I have with it is the constantly hi reving fans when watching flash videos (youtube) and the fact that it takes almost 1 min to boot and opening apps is 3-5 bounces. Do you think the improvements announced yesterday will fix these issues? From what i've heard the new drives are SATA insted of PATA and the processor is now 45nm technology.

Another main issue i have with it is that it gets very hot (fans 6000rpm) when i connect it to my 1900x1200 24'' display.

Thanks

11. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

Couldn't really tell you, the MBA has all new guts, how that affects the heat output, only you'll be able to tell for your own uses. Wait for the reviews to come out, the much higher performance Nvida GPU may or may not generate more heat, but is certainly much more capable than the Intel GPU.

Wait for the reviews on the Apple installed SSD, in the 1st gen MBA, using much slower SSD's, it was reported that there wasn't much of a difference in speed btw HD & SSD...that could all change, if Apple is using new SSD's that are 2x-3x faster than the one in the MBA. Also depending on code optimization, some SSD manufacturers were blaming M$ Vista for less than stellar performance with their drives. If Apple has tweaked the software in the latest OS, or by some other means; the SSD may now be significantly faster as compared to the standard HD. But you'd think Apple would be promoting that, if it were the case.

Go to an Apple store if you can, try one out, that should give you a good idea (assumes you can find one with installed SSD ;) ).

And as with earlier gens of MBP's vs newer, Apple may have made unannounced tweaks to the design which allow better heat management, ie quieter fan speeds.

Keep reading, ask your question on the MBA forum

12. foodle macrumors 6502

Given the results from some recent tests of SSDs, you really want either an SLC one (single level cell FLASH) which are really expensive or the new Intel MLC (multi-level cell FLASH). So unless Apple is using the Intel SSD (unclear until someone receives their SSD Macbook (or Air or Pro), we don't know.

I would say either wait for reviews/forum posts, or go for the HDD one and get the Intel drive from a 3rd party vendor.

13. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yes I read that comparison on Anandtech and it was rather entertaining.

Apparently, ALL of the new MLC designs except Intel's (which is stellar) blow badly, so bad they are a joke.

But the good news is, that all of them are probably scrambling to get their acts together and I imagine very soon this will change and we will see fantastic MLC's for reasonable prices.

I know, they've been saying that for years, but the thing is this new Intel X25 has changed the playing field.

Problem today:

Intel's X25 80GB MLC SSD is very good, but they want SLC prices

About $600, where the other MLC's (albeit junk) are half that at $300.

14. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

I don't think that SSD Apple's offering is Intel's. Intel released MLC series (X25-M and X18-M) in 80GB and 160GB versions (I'm not sure if the latter is available already). 80GB costs about ~$600. IIRC Intel's SLC (X25-E and X18-E) are supposed to come in 64GB and 128GB, but those would have to be more expensive, because they cost more to produce and should be faster. Apple offers SSD upgrade at $500. No way for it to be Intel's.

15. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yes i would imagine they are using the newer Samsung SLC

Which I think maybe better than the last version.

We will know soon enough

But It's a mistake not to buy the X25 if you want a SSD.

This is a no-brainer. The drives on the new Macbooks are easily gotten at.

And the prices are about the same.

Only problem is that the X25 is so new you have to sort of hunt for them.

But they are there. :)

16. catgo thread starter macrumors member

I'll wait for some benchmarks, if performance is not that improved by ssd i'll probably end up getting the base MBP. At the end it will come down to how good does each of them looks since power and hdd space is not important to me since I have a Mac Pro for more intensive tasks. If the MBP is too big to carry around, ill probably get a macbook with/without ssd.

17. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

except that apple uses generic crap ram and you'll be better off buying better name brand