SSD VS Flash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkcerda, Dec 27, 2013.

1. jkcerda, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I see the price differences, BUT I have no idea which is better or why..example .

option 1
    $1599
    option 2
    $1779
    option 2 is $200 more with less storage and less memory (4GB's) .
    EDIT, even the video card is only 512 mbs.

to add a bit of confusion the NEW MBPs have Flash PCIe storage.

IS the SSD better than simple Flash storage with Flash PCIe being better than both? :confused:

are both of those options above "Ivy bridge"? ?????

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Flash storage and SSD in those descriptions means the same thing.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

OK, but why the steep price difference between the 2? option 2 even has a 512MB video card

4. Mike Biggen macrumors member

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thanks, I did not catch that, wonder why the retina model is cheaper as well.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

SSDs contain Flash storage, but that storage is in a drive enclosure in the non-retina model, whereas the retina model has the storage directly mounted on the logic board. Also, the non-retina is a high res antiglare screen, which is an add-on option, and it also includes an optical drive, which the retina model doesn't have. The newer retina model is less expensive than a similarly-equipped non-retina model, due in part to more cost-effective manufacturing process. Higher cost doesn't always equal higher specs or higher performance or higher value.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ok, so does this mean the one with the retina model is not up-gradable? stuck with 256Gbs?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has been talk about OWC making some upgrades, but doing so would void any warranty or AppleCare as the retina models have no user-serviceable parts.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

that is one thing I am hating about macs. if you upgrade some models you are SOL if anything goes bad.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The new models provide more justification for buying AppleCare, since self-service is less of an option. It also means that it makes more sense to buy a configuration that accommodates not only your current needs, but anticipated future requirements, as well.

11. prfrma macrumors regular

isn't this the Mac Pro forum not the Mac Book Pro forum?

And in that context, apple flash storage is also PCIe based storage (as opposed to SATA) so it's up to twice as fast (nMP vs MBPr)

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No it won't, at least in the US. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits voiding a warranty by installing after market parts.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'll leave it to others to decide if they want to battle it out in court with Apple as to the enforceability of their warranty. The Apple warranty clearly states:

14. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

First option is so much better it ain't even funny.

15. leman macrumors 604

Its just Apple's pricing strategy. The retina models in 2012 used to be cheaper then non-retina ones configured the same way.

Well, you can always have it repaired.

Not nessesarily. The 2012 rMBP model uses a SATA connection, the 2013 macs all use the PCIe connection.

I guess the problem is the definition of 'aftermarket part'. I doubt that a part based on a reverse-engineered protocol qualifies here. Apple can always claim that the part was not in line with their internal specifications and they can't be responsible for any damage resulting from the stress the system received from it.

Of course, one can just keep the old part and simply swap it in when taking the laptop to service ;) Problem is, the prices OWC asks for their drives are even more ridiculous than that of Apple.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That has nothing to do with replacing parts. The law is clear on this. There is even case law involving Asus trying to pull this with their EeePC line. When challenged, Asus backed down.

There is a potential downside of course. If you put in an aftermarket flash storage device and your Macbook stops working, Apple could try to say the storage device caused the problem. Although the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act places the burden of proof on Apple to prove this, some owners may not want to take the risk. But to say your Apple warranty is voided by installing an aftermarket flash storage device is incorrect.

----------

It does, and the act was created exactly for cases like this to prevent companies from forcing you to buy their parts. I agree, it is not without risk. Apple could try and claim your wanky OWC flash drive wrecked the logic board. My point is, under the Act, putting an aftermarket flash drive in does not automatically void the warranty on the computer.

Believe me, I am not promoting OWC here. I am not a fan of theirs.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Obviously it does, as that is considered a modification. Regardless of what you or Magnuson-Moss think, Apple considers it justification for voiding the warranty, as has been reported countless times in this forum over the years. If you want to dispense legal advice, that's your call, but users should be informed as to the terms and conditions of Apple's warranty, which are clear. Then if a user wants to fight Apple, that's their choice.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Primarily by people like you who are misinformed. Go read the law. It is not a matter of what Magnuson-Moss "thinks"... it is the law and it applies.

Let's just agree to disagree. I linked the wiki on the Act and people can read it and decide for themselves.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not misinformed. I've read it long ago. It's not a matter of being misinformed when people report that Apple refused warranty service on a Mac that had been modified in violation of the warranty. Those cases actually happened. The burden is on the consumer to fight Apple to force them to honor the Act, which many consumers have neither the time nor the resources to do. With rare exceptions, you're not going to get a manager at a Genius Bar or Apple to change their position simply by quoting the law to them.

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

waiting for the 1st option with 16GBs of memory to show up in the refurbished side, things there fly QUICK,

----------

this is the model I am waiting for

MacBook Pro 15.4” Retina - Quad-Core i7 2.4Ghz
    Originally released February 2013
    15.4-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch
    16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB Flash Storage
    720p FaceTime HD Camera
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Visit refurb.me to be notified when the model you want appears on the refurb store.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I did, model shown was there & gone within a couple of hours, I was at work when I got the notification, I did not expect it to sell that fast, you snooze you loose. :eek:

23. leman macrumors 604

Well, here is the text of the relevant paragraph that I was able to find:

First of all, as a non-native speaker this is very difficult to read (but I think native speakers will have a similar problem). Secondly, its absolutely not clear on what constitutes 'product, any article or service'. Is it a clearly defined part/add-on/component or can it be anything? Basically, does it mean that I can go resoldering all the capacitors on my logic board with others and/or replacing the PSU by something I have built in my kitchen and then insist that my warranty is in effect? In case of the rMBP, Apple clearly states: 'this product does not contain any user-replaceable parts'. Isn't that 'enough' in this case? Now, the Act basically means that you can use any brand of external HDD, usb-stick or other device in combination with your Mac, but I don't see how altering the product (that is, the laptop) itself falls under the definition of the Act.

P.S. In electronics, there is often no way to easily 'prove' what caused the damage or even to identify the failed part, thats why people usually don't even bother.

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As I said, the law is clear. I had hoped to just agree to disagree like mature adults. I should shave known better.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep, the turnover in refurb inventory is pretty brisk at times!