SSD vs Fusion Drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ashah888, Oct 23, 2012.

1. ashah888 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about what upgrades to get with the new iMac when it's ready to ship...

Can some of you give me an advice of whether I should go all SSD iMac or a Fusion Drive iMac?

I already have a 1TB external hard drive that I use for time machine. I could just start using it as a external HDD instead...

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Are you implying that you no longer need to back up your data?

/Jim

3. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

This is entirely up to you.

-Do you mind keeping and actively using your external HD?
    -Do you need the extra storage of another HDD?
    -The fusion drive starts at like $200-250. Is that within your budget?

Only you know your needs and wants, habits and workflow.

4. ashah888 thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't need extra storage.
    Do still need to backup data.

However, can't I just partition my external drive in half and use 50% of it for time machine and then 50% for extra space? I'm assuming that's possible, I could be wrong.

I was just thinking that if I have the option to go SDD 765GB space, or Fusion Drive 125 SDD and 1TB HDD, wouldn't it make sense to go all SDD and then use a HDD external? * my numbers on disk space are probably wrong, forgive me.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

If you can afford it go SSD all in. If not the fusion drive will be good. My worry with the Fusion drive is if one half breaks (after AppleCare expires) what do yo do? Can you carry on using the working part or does the thing have to be replaced?

6. goodlittlesquid, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2012
    That is what I'm worried about. Is this fusion drive going to last 5 years? Anyone know how long hybrid drives hold up compared to traditional HDDs?

Torn between fusion or SSD+external. My iTunes library is ~30 GB. I create lots of large Photoshop files frequently but I'm done with them fairly quickly and I rarely need to revisit them often.

7. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

It's not a hybrid drive in the iMac. They showed a separate most likely msata drive on the logic board and a standard 3.5" drive

I'm guessing on the msata part but it'd make sense. They use msata drives in the rMBP and MBA

Attached Files:

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

It doesn't make any sense to have your primary data, and your backup on the same device.

/Jim

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb