ssd vs hdd is it even worth it???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abond2014, Jul 27, 2011.

1. abond2014 macrumors member

abond2014

:apple:hey guys,

i am soon buying a 15" macbook pro and i am in quite a predicament for a few reasons...

SSD:
    the first being the price of the ssd for the low amount of storage.
    My concern is that this wont be enough and i dont feel like doing lots of other things like external hard drives and other inconvenient things. If i were to get a 128 gb for $90 bucks or the 256 gb for $400. but neither is very much memory for lots of money But the goods of ssd's is obviously there speed, no moving parts!

HDD:
    These things are cheap and come with lots of storage. But the down side is they have have moving parts and are less durable also are slower.if i get one of these its free. I would choose the 500gb 7200 rpm.

is it worth less memory and more money for better performance or should i take the free memory that isnt as powerful?

So what do you guys recommend and think i should get?

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

No one can answer that for you, you have to decide if it's worth it for you.

Mine came with a 250GB 5400rpm, and if you don't count all my .mkv bluray rips I only use ~100GB. So for me, the deceaion to get a 240/256GB SSD was a no brainer. I plan to get a 1TB WD for the opti bay in the future so I can keep some of my blurays on the laptop, but since I only watch them when hooked up to my TV, having them on my NAS works perfect for me. I haven't installed my SSD yet because I'm actually still up in the air if I should exchange it for a 120GB Vertex 2/3(I have a 256 Samsung 470 now, but am really thinking I'd rather have the OCZ, and even with a OWC data doubler and 1TB HD the OCZ setup would be cheaper).

3. ABadSanta macrumors regular

Overall, I would say SSDs are great upgrades because they will most likely be the norm for computer storage drives in the future- no moving parts and risks that come with that, a lot faster, etc.

However, they're really expensive since they're not really too common yet. One of the reasons I decided not to get one is because I just spent a lot of money on the Macbook Pro itself.

I would look into it further down the road, perhaps when your computer is showing some signs of age- it will give it a great pick-me-up performance boost.

A lot of people here are very happy with their SSDs, so if you have the money and you value getting as much performance as you can, that works too.

4. cinek macrumors 6502

after getting an ssd I cannot see my self using a HDD any more (as boot drive). You might want to consider getting a Hybrid SSD drive that's a lot cheaper and you can get them in 500GB -> 2TB. They're not as fast as SSDs but they are faster then your standard HDD

5. abond2014 thread starter macrumors member

abond2014

where can i find a hybrid ssd/ hdd

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Seagate Momentus XT seems popular in the forums.

7. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

An SSD is great, and if you have the money for one, your practically in the go.

SSD's increase the performance, can make your computer slightly lighter, and also produce no heat, unlike performance hard drives.

The biggest concern you will have is of course memory. Everyone is different. My late 2008 macbook (first of the unibodies :cool: ) has never used up 100GB of memory because I don't flush it with stuff and generally only keep what I need. so a 100-160GB SSD is plenty for me.