SSD vs HDD on a core duo mac mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Zellio, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Just wanted to share this real quick. I recently got a kingston v300 128 gb for an old laptop (it was on sale), and so I replaced my 80 gb hdd 5400 rpm mac mini drive with this 64 gb sad that was in that laptop.

[​IMG]

Thart is the original hdd, and this is about how fast a usb 2.0 disk will run at... Which I really was not expecting, even for 5400 rpm and sata 2, but whatever..

[​IMG]

That is after the upgrade. Not a super huge difference, but certainly a good use for an old 64 gb ssd, and this thing also doesn't feel hot anymore!

2. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Triple and quadruple the speed, sounds huge to me. Well done!

3. blanka macrumors 68000

My Scorpio Black 7200rpm one has higher figures than that.

4. windowpain macrumors 6502a

The benefit though of the ssd is not only the throughput, which you can see has tripled , but also the seek time which is a few orders of magnitude faster.

It is this that makes things feel much faster.

You also have the reduced heat and vibration.

All in all a very worthwhile upgrade I think.

5. Zellio thread starter macrumors 65816

Zellio

I'm sure it does, that's why I expressed sadness in only having usb 2.0 speeds for the 5400 rpm hdd. That's a bad sign to start with..

6. COrocket macrumors 6502

HDD's have been getting faster over time so its not surprising that the original disk was putting out those numbers. I had a 2007 macbook and it was getting around 30 MB/s, whereas a 2012 mini HDD gets around 100 MB/s.

Your old HDD was probably working correctly, it was just old technology. As someone said earlier the big benefit of SSD's are very low access/seek times

7. Zellio thread starter macrumors 65816

Zellio

Even with ssds, newer hardware with more bandwidth and sata 3 also play a big role in ssd/hdd speed.

8. svedel77 macrumors newbie

Great! I got my first SSD 4-5 years ago, and never went back to HDD.
    But the advantadge is not only the fast transferspeeds at 400-500 MB/sec. It's not the least the fast seek-times which is almost nonexisting with the SSD.