SSD vs. HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scallopdelion, Jun 23, 2010.

1. scallopdelion macrumors newbie

I hear the Solid State Drives in the new Macbook Pros are not the top of the line SSD's that you hear about. Anyone out there with the SSD 128GB Drive, can you recommend the $300 upgrade?

I run production and design Adobe products (graphic design, Flash, and a small amount of video) plus a few games (Steam on Mac), in addition to my email/internet/every day uses.

Thanks!

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Yeah, but even the lower end SSDs will probably provide a boost in read/write times :)
    There's also the added bonus of less power used from SSDs, and less heat produced-- either way they're great things to have for a laptop.

Personally though I'd look into an OCZ SSD, they're the top of the market right now. You'd have to manually install it yourself, though.

3. mytoki macrumors member

just curious, but which MBP are you planning to get?

4. scallopdelion thread starter macrumors newbie

15" MBP i5 Core.

Have been on the fence between a MBP or a iMac.

5. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

personaly i think a ssd is not worth the money until its cost per gig equals a harddrive they are a waste of money for me now when i can get a ssd 512 gb for the cost of 100 hundred dollars i will consider it thats around the price you can get a 500 gig laptop drive right now i believe

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The capacity is not the point. Even 80GB is fine as boot&app drive, then store your files in OptiBay, external HD or NAS

7. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I would suggest skipping on the SSD for now and upgrading it yourself sometime down the line. We should be able to get 160GB Intels by early 2011 for under $300... and for now, get a Seagate Momentus XT if you want a faster drive option.

The Apple SSD is not the best but it will still be better than any HDD, and they might possibly enable TRIM support, which will more likely support the Apple SSDs, so if you must have it now, and want to not DIY, then its not a bad option really IMO.

8. rversteegh macrumors member

Hi there,

New to posting so hopefully I don't do anything wrong. Not entirely sure if this is the right thread but here goes.

I have a previous gen 13" MBP, 2.53ghz with 4gb ram what would be the best SSD to get to house the OS and key apps if it were coupled with another HD and an MCE optibay?

Thanks heaps :):)

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. 80GB Intel should be enough unless you have a LOT apps. BTW, there is no 750GB 7200rpm drive, it's 5400rpm

2. AFAIK, you cannot turn it off but it doesnt suck the battery when it's idling

10. rversteegh macrumors member

11. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

12. rversteegh macrumors member

I'm guessing that the general consensus from other forums regarding the SSD would be to go for one of the 80gb X25-M G2 Intel ones?

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, it's very popular and also one of the best ones available. Also reasonably priced

14. rversteegh macrumors member

would a raid 0 on two momentus xt's provide a good reliable and cheaper alternative to a small ssd and a big storage drive?

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It would still lack th latency of SSD so no, not really. Sequential reads and writes would be nice though

16. rversteegh macrumors member

It would be nice if being a (comparatively) early adopter with SSD was cheaper!