SSD vs Hybrid SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patseguin, Mar 13, 2015.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I have a 2011 MBP in which I installed a 2TB Seagate hybrid SSD. I am looking to extend performance on this machine as long as possible. Would I see any significant performance gain if I installed a regular SSD?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Very. Hybrid drives are junk.

Go get yourself a Samsung 850 Evo SSD.

3. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I have a 500gb toshiba hybrid in my mid 2010 15" mbp and it flys. Apps come up instantly, etc. It was in the machine when i bought it used a month ago. I had never before heard of hybris. And i probably wouldnt buy one now with prices for ssd so reasonable. But disregard what anyone says, the hybrid, at least this one, is very fast and i gather inexpensive.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

By your definition of hybrid, is it two separate drives (one SSD and one HDD) fused in an FD setup, or just a single SSHD with a very small cache?

5. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Get rid of the spinning rust whenever possible. It is a solid state world.

One less damn thing to make heat, noise and mechanical problems. Not to mention taking up valuable space.

6. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

The extra SSD I found is a 120GB Corsair Force GT. I am guessing it ought to be considerably faster than the hybrid drive but I wonder if the large reduction in space will be felt. I suppose I could use my FireWire WD drive for storage. I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth the time taking apart the MBP, installing it, reinstalling Yosemite, and restore my data and apps.

On a side note I use the MBP closed connected to a Dell 27" 2560 1440 display on display port. I have a Bluetooth keyboard with Magic Trackpad and a Magic Mouse. I'm hoping to be able to use it like a desktop and get some more years out of it. It seems just a tad sluggish compared to my PC and I gave a feeling that is due the drive. It only has 8 GB RAM which I am not sure I can upgrade higher. My only other issue is that if I do anything remotely demanding like even copying a large amount of files, the fans rev up like a jet engine. Is there any way to make it stop doing that? It's an i7 like my PC and that machine doesn't rev up like this. I wondered if the physical HD could be causing the large noise.

Oh, and to who asked, it's my unde standing that a hybrid HD is nothing more than a standard drive with a large cache like 8GB or something.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I see two problems. First is the size of the Corsair - if you're used to a 2tb drive a 120gb drive is going to be tight. Unless your storage needs are minimal, it is too small for most.

Second, you are upgrading a computer that's living on borrowed time. How long before your graphics chip dies? I would hate to spend a lot on upgrades only to have it fail a few months later.

8. ZVH macrumors 6502

Check out this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1833033

It eventually goes all over the place but I get the impression that people using hybrids like them. I don't have one, FWIW, but it might be worth reading.

It probably really depends on how much storage you really need and how much you're willing to spend on it. IMHO if you need 1TB or more you might want to look at a hybrid.

9. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Yeah you're probably right about the storage space.

I know it is getting old, but it's in good condition. I upgraded to the hybrid drive last year and doubled the RAM to 8GB. It's still a Core i7 which should be no slouch for some time. If I can upgrade to 16GB is there any reason why I shouldn't get a couple more years out of it?

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Considering that it has Radeongate...I wouldn't hold my breath. Besides, the lack of USB 3 and the very weak dGPU by today's standards are a big turnoff for me.

I used to use an early-2011 15" (2.3GHz i7 BTO, 16GB RAM, 512GB 840 Pro, 1GB 6750M and AG screen) and the weak dGPU + Radeongate pushed me to the 15" rMBP (late-2013) instead.