SSD vs USB3 vs SD Speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ukchris, Oct 31, 2013.

1. ukchris macrumors newbie

I have a brand new late 2013 13" rMBP. I intend to run some VMs on it at times and I'm debating how best to store them, I believe my options are:

1. Save them on the SSD
    2. Save them on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive
    3. Save them on a USB 3.0 Memory Stick
    4. Save them on a 64/128Gb SDXC Card

Is there a way I can evaluate how these options compare in terms of performance? To save SSD space then a USB 3.0 drive/stick is an obvious option but I'd prefer not to be connecting another device (and risk accidentally disconnecting it which really seems to upset a VM).

Is an SD card a viable option for storing a VM Image if needed? Does the speed compare to USB 3.0?

Thanks, Chris.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

IIRC the SDXC slot is either connected via USB or PCIe and System Profiler should be able to tell you which.

The problem with your question is that hard drive, flash drive and SDXC card speeds vary so it really depends on the specific options that you're considering.

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah if I were the OP I would purchase Sandisk Extreme's or even Sandisk Extreme Pro's....at 95MB/s read and write you can definitely run an OS off the Extreme Pro's, but the Extreme's should be fine, I get 45MB/s read and write on my rMBP's card reader.

4. ukchris thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems there's no speed detail available for the StorEdge http://www.amazon.com/PNY-StorEDGE-...=UTF8&qid=1383247683&sr=1-1&keywords=storedge so maybe a 64Gb Micro SDXC card which states "Up to 30mb/s"? I'm not sure if that is fast enough for a VM to run from.

From what I read the SD on the new rMPB is connected to the PCIe.

----------

In thinking this through I suppose it's more important to consider what might fill up my SSD. Overall I'm pretty sure I'd be better off having VMs on the SSD and offloading documents/movies/music to an SD Card.

It's amazing how after I post a question it seems to magically clarify itself as my brain catches up!