SSD Weight saving?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Moccasin, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I'm currently in two minds as to whether to gor for a 13" Pro or 13" MBA.

I travel a lot and so weight is important, use some windows software for work sometimes that needs a good graphics card and good cpu.

I can't afford the fully maxed out MBA and so am contemplating going for the 13" MBP despite the poorer graphics. One thing that intrigues me though is whether an SSD in a Pro saves much weight compared to a HDD? In the MBA, the flash memory is hardwired onto the board to save weight and space but I presume the factory-fitted SSDs in a MBP are in a standard case and thus save little weight?

I'm guessing too that the SSD upgrade on the Pro willl not be carried in stock at Apple Stores (I want to buy the machine in the few days I am back in the UK as I am overseas now and want to take the machine on holiday next week)

The strong likelihood is that I will accept the lack of upgrade path on the MBA and get that, but just for my own peace of mind I want to know if the MBP weight penalty is reduced noticeably with an SSD.

Thanks

2. brentsg macrumors 68030

You should grab the refurb Air 13 if you want one. Apple refurbs are fantastic and it gets the price very close to the MBP 13 with the SSD (that's half the size).

If you're patient you can get a refurb max Air 13 except with 128GB SSD for less than a base 13 MBP.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

There should be hardly any difference at all in weight between a MBP with HDD and one with SSD. I doubt one could feel the difference from just holding them.
    An Intel X-25M weighs 80g a 500 GB Western Digital HDD weighs 117g.
    With the 2kg MBP that is less than a 2% difference.

4. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

It's less wait that you'll notice with SSD.

And less heat. So less fan noise.

And less vibration. None, in fact.

5. almac68 macrumors member

almac68

No difference. The weight between a standard drive and an SSD is not much. If you want light weight, MBA is the way to go. I would have gone with MBA if it came with i3 at least. Not the current ones with C2D. I will definitely get the MBA if and when they have i5 or i7 with it.

6. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

If you want light air is definitely the way to go. SSD will shave grams only. Basically, the weight difference will be like carrying a MBP regular. Then carrying it with 3 CDs taped to it(no cases just the discs).