SSD: What are my options and exactly how good are they?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bob616, Dec 2, 2009.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

So I've been hearing how great SSD's are for a while now and how they just breath life into your computer, however I haven't seen one in action yet so I don't know exactly how good they are. So any one with an SSD in there macbook or macbook pro how much better did your computer's performance get?
    Also what is the best SSD to buy right now? I am willing to shell out $250 on it and I would like as large and fast as that money could buy. I also do video editing with Final Cut Pro on my Macbook Pro so I do need something fast. I don't need a lot of space because I usually delete my footage after I'm done and I never work with more than 5 gigabytes of footage at a time.

Thank in advance!

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

The one you want is the Intel SSD G2 (second generation). You will only be able to get 80GB for that price. Just search for it on a youtube and you'll see dozens of examples of its performance.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm getting one in my next MacBook Pro, they are supposed to be a lot faster, save battery life and be dead quiet and you can't damage them by shaking them round. I'll be getting a 128GB one.

4. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

SSD its amazing, i have one on my macbook pro and its soo fast, the best part is not even the speed is the peace of not having to hear the hard drive spin and having a very quite computer ,

5. LinMac macrumors 65816

Search for my threads regarding SSDs. You'll find the SSDs Apple sells in the Macbook Pros are badly overpriced compared to the third party offerings you can find elsewhere.

6. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Definitely go for the Intel x-25m G2. For your budget, you'll be able to get the 80gb model. Is it fast? Let's just say it makes your machine feel like a supercomputer.

7. Dr-Ludvig macrumors newbie

Yeah, go for Intel x25-m G2 (remember G2), trust me, you won't regret it! I'll never use anything other than SSD's as my boot drive from now on, it's just amazing!

8. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Think they were talking about the time when Newegg had the gen 2 out of stock and told consumers to use another one instead via a link. And that link lead to the gen 1.

10. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok so that one is the G2 with trim support and stuff?
    also is there any sites that sell it cheaper?