SSD - Which is cheaper? From Apple or Third party?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sudaddy, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Sudaddy macrumors member

So, I want to buy a new MBP when it comes out this week. Hypothetically, if SSD is still not the standard version, should I pay more to get the SSD version or is it cheaper and simple enough to do the upgrade myself?

For those who have done the upgrade themselves, how much does it usually cost and how tough is it to upgrade?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Much cheaper from a 3rd party. Check out OWC

It's not a difficult upgrade at all. Heres a guide.

3. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

It`s straightforward on the current models but we still don`t know what the new ones will be like to work on.
    Never buy Memory/Hard drive upgrades etc. from Apple they are way overpriced.

4. washburn macrumors 6502

How does the Apple SSD compare to other brands in terms of performance?

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

It`s no better than any of the 3rd party drives and even if it were slightly faster it could never justify the massive price premium Apple wants for it.

6. ozred macrumors 6502

This is excellent advice. It will save you money and time, not to mention the headaches of trying to work with a machine that is highly likely to be purpose built to prevent you from performing user upgrades. The new pentalobe screws that Apple is using are a real pain. Requiring a special tool that is not very robust, these are one time use screws. Debuted on the iPhone purposely to keep people out, I wouldn't want them on my MBP.

7. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

They are just rebranded Toshiba HG2s, which means they aren't very fast and really don't perform well over time like Sandforce drives do in Macs (thanks to the lack of TRIM in OS X).

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1230/1/

8. ozred macrumors 6502

Very true.

I installed an OCZ Vertex 2 - 256 GB SSD plus 8GB ram in my 15" 2010 i7, MBP and it's a rocket.

The out of pocket expense was far less than if i had bought it from Apple by hundreds of dollars. Plus I have a far better SSD.

9. e5volcano macrumors regular

Sorry new to the DIY ssd upgradE, but on apples site, a 128 ssd is 300 dollars...I checked that OWC site and it seems to be same priced?
    Am I looking wrong?

Also if you manually put in a ssd in, wouldn't you void your warranty?

10. whyzdom macrumors regular

Factor in that you will have a spare drive if you upgrade yourself. So instead of just having one drive (on an Apple upgrade), you will have 2 drives - one for backup.

Same goes for Ram.. you pay an exorbitant amount for a Ram upgrade when you could go elsewhere and get it cheaper for far less.... for 8gigs than Apple charges for a 4 gig upgrade.

Ram and HDD/SSD upgrades do not void your warranty.

11. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

always 3rd party. Always buy a striped down Mac as Apple has their nice Apple-tax stamped on any upgrades. Also 3rd party upgrades seem to be of higher quality. Apple tends to get below par OEM hardware. (Google for proof)

12. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

Hard drives are a user-replaceable part on all but the MBA. Here's a guide from Apple on how to do it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3419

13. e5volcano macrumors regular

Hmm interesting. Since I already have some external drives + online backup, I think I'd rather upgrade the RAM myself but upgrade the SSD through apple...

Does anyone know if the Apple Store carries SSD MBP models (assuming SSD won't be standard next refresh) or do you have to buy it online?

14. prestong macrumors member

I did the ssd upgrade myself to my mbp 17". The 3rd party ssd drives available were not only faster, but they were much cheaper. Upgrade took me around 15 minutes to complete, plus time to duplicate the drive. This notebook is amazingly fast now since the upgrade. SSD on a mac is worth every penny.