SSD with 3 GB/s data cable - is this ok?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ne0the1, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Ne0the1 macrumors member

Hello all,

I will be installing an additional SSD in my iMac. Will a 3GB/s data cable be sufficient?

I think the read and write speeds will be roughly 500MB/s.

I wasn't sure if I would needa 6GB/s cable. Just confirming that 3GB/s cable will be fine and won't slow down any data transfer?

2. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

SATA II won't give you 500MB/sec. SATA II write speeds will come in in the 280 range. To take full advantage of the SSD, you will need SATA III.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8142/~/difference-between-sata-i,-sata-ii-and-sata-iii

What year is the machine? It is possible to get close to 500MB/sec (close enough not to notice the difference) by booting externally through USB 3.

3. Ne0the1 thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

Thakns or your reply.

My iMac is Mid 2011. So I would need Sata III to get the most out of the SSD?

I put an SSD in my Macbook Pro Early 2011, and I get 500MB/s but that was using the existing cable. So I assume the existing cable in my Macbook Pro must be Sata III?

4. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Yes.

You may be able to get close using a Thunderbolt to USB 3 adapter. Check this thread. You won't have to open the machine.

Lately, I have been booting externally using USB 3. Write speeds are 395MB/sec and reads are 429MB/sec. You may not notice the 100MB/sec difference in real word use.

5. Ne0the1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.

I will be putting the SSD in the iMac, I don't want to boot from an external drive.

I prefer it to be internal. So it's best I get the 6GB/s cable then.

Why does my MacBook Pro Early 2011 achieve 500MB/s both read and write. I replacd the HD so the existing cable must be 6GB/s?

6. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

I think Apple got SATA III in 2011. The optical bay might be SATA II, so don't put the drive there.

7. Ne0the1 thread starter macrumors member

I won't be replacing anything. There are additional ports on the logic board (one for power, one for data).

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 21.26.56.png

Does anyone know what speed this supports?

8. pdafan macrumors member

Done it before. Just get the 6GB SATA3 data cable and the right SATA power cable.
    Follow iFixit guide.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2429+Dual+Hard+Drive+Kit/7575

You will get SATA3 speed.

9. Ne0the1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, this is similar to the guide I saw already. As I have a 21.5" iMac.

Glad the logic board supports Sata 3 from these ports :)

Already ordered the cables. Did you need the right angled sata cable, or will a regular end be ok?