SSD won't boot up this morning

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Nova77, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Nova77 Guest

WTF WTF WTF, my main boot drive just won't start on my G4 MDD. Worked fine yesterday and the days before... Now I press the power button, something is going on and then the computer shuts down. Holding the alt key I was able to boot on my backup (using it right now). Wtf is going on??? No sign of failure and then boom! doesn't work. Is there a way I can repair it? Disk utility won't allow me to.

2. simsaladimbamba

What is the error message you probably get in Disk Utility?

3. Nova77 thread starter Guest

At start (on my backup drive) it says that mac OS is not able to repair my boot drive and that I should format it soon. When I open disk utility, there is no error messages but the repair buttons are grey...

4. Nova77 thread starter Guest

5. drorpheus macrumors regular

don't mean to sound like an ass, but it sounds like that drive took a ****. Do you have a windows box to throw it in to see if its recognized in there? I really want to get a ssd but from other non mac forums i've read, this always seems to be the main problem, can you still RMA it back to mfg. to see if they'll replace it? or maybe try throwing in a reg. sata drive to see if its not the sata port/cables? I know none of this really helps but it sounds like the drive is dead.

6. Nova77 thread starter Guest

MacOS sees the drive but cannot boot from it.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You could try disk warrior. The HFS+ file system is prone to corruption. It's still powering up or disk utility wouldn't be able to see it. It's not a guarantee that it'll work but it might. If you couldn't see it in disk utility I wouldn't suggest this.

At least your items are backed up. I really liked the G4s. They were stable machines :).

8. Nova77 thread starter Guest

Do I have to beg in despair to actually get some help? Or will this post fall into the very bottom of the list all the time?

9. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

10. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I have a small amount of SSD experience only through client systems but have never had to deal with a failure yet.

If I were you I would not even classify this as a PowerPC issue but rather an SSD problem. I would repost this in a broader part of the forum. You need a rare person that has SSD failure experience.

Logic does tell me though that it could very well be dead. It's not like there are any moving parts that can fail.

11. Nova77 thread starter Guest

It can't be dead because I can access the files. I just won't boot, as if some kind of corruption happened. Can some1 move this thread to the right place?

12. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

The why not copy the files over, mount and partition it in disk utility?

13. Nova77 thread starter Guest

I can, but I would like to know what happened first, to make sure it doesn't happen again...

14. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

It could be a messed partition table, or messed/corrupted directory structure.

15. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

What SSD it is? PATA or SATA via adapter? You could put it in a PC and use manufacturer's diagnostics tools (in any are available). It would be good opportunity to upgrade firmware and secure erase it.

16. Nova77 thread starter Guest

OWC Mecury pro SSD, using a firmtek 1v4 SATA card. The card works well, or else I wouldn't be typing atm (all my drives are on it).