Ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m117, Nov 10, 2011.

1. m117 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I will preface this by saying i read through this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1177020

I am looking to buy an SSD for my early 2011 macbook pro 13" for general use. According to the above thread, since it ist a pre-2011, there isn't an obviously better choice for SSDs.

What i am wondering is the following:
    1. What size (120GB 320GB 512GB etc...) should i get?
    1.1) should the amount of GB in the SSD match the GB in the original hard drive, or is a smaller SSD equal to a larger normal Hard drive?
    2. Which company makes the best one?
    3. is professional installation necessary, and if not, how difficult is instillation?

thanks you in advance =)

--m117

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

1) SSD's cost more than there weight in gold. If you can afford it (or need a large capacity) get the largest you can afford. Size matters on how much you use. Also you could use an ssd as a boot drive and app drive and an optibay for storage
    2) Intel
    3) it is not nesecairry. apple even post instructions. It is pretty easy

3. m117 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a ton!

i dont have a ton of disposable income (id like to no more than $600 if possible), so that will be a limiting factor.

i use my mac for all my school needs, as well as some gaming (TF2 and Minecraft :p), so do i need a ~300GB, or could I use a ~120-200GB.

4. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Intel makes good reliable drives, but so does Samsung. Checkout the Samsung 830, it's one of the newest, fastest drives.

Hard for anyone of us to say what your storage demands are. Doesn't sound like you'll need to go beyond 250GB.

Drives to look at:

1) Samsung 830
    2) Crucial M4 (same controller as Intel)
    3) Intel 510

5. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

6. m117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you al so much. i think i will go for a 250GB samsung or Crucial m4. thanks a ton

7. nippyjun macrumors 65816

8. ahdickter macrumors 6502

What about the lack of native garbage collection on the Crucial M4?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The M4 does have native garbage collection, it is just not as aggressive as say the Sandforce controller drives.

10. some idiot macrumors member

11. ahdickter macrumors 6502

But without TRIM support, could the lack of aggressive garbage collection cause problems over time? (I'm not trying to insult you, just wondering since I've been looking to buy one.)

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No offense taken. There is no evidence it will cause a problem. Forum members have been using these drives of all different brands and I have not seen reports of slow downs due to lack of TRIM. The first gen. Intel X-25 SSDs seemed to slow down over time, but the gen. 2 X-25 had better firmware and did not have this problem.

Remember, even if there were no garbage collection at all in firmware the worst that can happen is WRITE speeds only can slow after every single cell on the SSD has been written to. Even if that did happen all you would need to do to get back to like new performance is enable the TRIM hack and boot into single user mode (in Lion) and run the command "fsck -ffy" to TRIM all free space on the drive.

In short, don't lose sleep over this. People are not having trouble with it.