Ssd?

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
this is for a future thought but does any sad work in MBP? does it have to be a certain model? im thinking if i see a huge sale on ssd's on black friday i might pick one up if the price is right.

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
any 2.5" sata ssd should work. But it may not be optimised to your machine. If your MBP was made before 2011 then it is likely a SATA 1.5gb/s model. However, if its 2011 onwards then it is most likely a SATA 3gb/s macbook pro. As I said, any sata SSD should work, but find out which one you should get in order to optimise the MBP first. No point spending extra on a SATA 3Gb/s SSD if your macbook only supports 1.5Gb/s.

Thought I'd edit to save confusion. 1.5Gb/s is still very fast and worthy of an SSD. My Macbook Pro is a mid 2009 model and so is 1.5gb/s. I bought the Crucial V4 (which is optimised for 1.5gb/s) and it is fantastic! It boots up in seconds! Didn't want you thinking that 1.5gb/s wasn't worth getting an SSD for.

Comment

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
any 2.5" sata ssd should work. But it may not be optimised to your machine. If your MBP was made before 2011 then it is likely a SATA 1.5gb/s model. However, if its 2011 onwards then it is most likely a SATA 3gb/s macbook pro. As I said, any sata SSD should work, but find out which one you should get in order to optimise the MBP first. No point spending extra on a SATA 3Gb/s SSD if your macbook only supports 1.5Gb/s.
Exactly this, he is right on. I would recommend getting either a Crucial M4 series or Samsung 830 though. The Intel models are good as well but are pricey.

Comment

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
i think mine is a stat3 6Gb/s

Comment

paul-n

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
I can recommend the Samsung 830, it is fast and reliable ssd, also power consumption is good, especially in idle.

Comment

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Thought I'd edit to save confusion. 1.5Gb/s is still very fast and worthy of an SSD. My Macbook Pro is a mid 2009 model and so is 1.5gb/s. I bought the Crucial V4 (which is optimised for 1.5gb/s) and it is fantastic! It boots up in seconds! Didn't want you thinking that 1.5gb/s wasn't worth getting an SSD for.
1.5Gb/s would be SATA 1, which was only in older Macs. The Unibody MacBook Pros have all had SATA II(3Gb/s). Until recently(late 2011 I think?) when they were upgraded to SATA III(6Gb/s). I've got a mid 2009 model and my SSD is SATA III, but the link speed is limited to 3Gb/s, due to the SATA controller on my logic board.

So, while there are limits to the transfer speeds on older machines, there isn't a huge difference in price between SATA II and III drives. If you find a good deal on a top of the line drive, go for it. I've got a the M4 in my computer and I see pretty respectable numbers.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.