Ssd?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by darkal1en, Jul 25, 2014.

1. darkal1en macrumors newbie

Can someone tell me how easy or not it is to attach an SSD drive to a G5 and what are the benefits? Also any specifies recommendations as to particular SSD drives that work well with the G5?

Thanks

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You can put an SSD in a PPC G5 just as easily as a HDD. You just need to be sure to use a SATA I or SATA II SSD and not a SATA III as your boot drive.

The benefits are maybe, maybe a slight noticeable speed bump in performance and no moving parts like a HDD to wear out and cause heat.

Crucial and OCZ make some SATA II SSD's that are still available to buy.

3. simsaladimbamba

Do you have a G5 PowerMac or G5 iMac?
    If it is the former, any S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) or S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) SSD will do, since the PowerMac only has S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) anyway, and S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSDs are known to not work with that somehow.

The benefit would be a more responsive OS, faster loading times and feeling like having a new computer.

And to use a 2.5" SSD you need to have a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter (10 €) to put the SSD in and the adapter goes in one of the two slots for the HDDs.

Advanced Search or MRoogle can also help you find similar threads while waiting for more answers.

4. darkal1en thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi I have the g5 powermac. Thanks to all for your replies really helpful.

5. nemesiswar macrumors member

As have been mentioned on this forum before the Intel 320-series seems like a safe card and there are loads of them on ebay.

I use it myself on one of my G5s and is very happy with it.

6. drnebulous macrumors regular

drnebulous

Whatever you do, don't buy an OCZ! I like the Samsung 840 Pro.

7. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

Those are SATA 3 6Gbps

8. drnebulous macrumors regular

drnebulous

Not really worth it with sata 1. Even sata 2 bottlenecks it. Maybe they sell a sata 3 pci card for G5's?

9. simsaladimbamba

An SSD is worth it for the RANDOM access times, even on S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) and S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II), as an SSD will be a lot faster in that regard compared to an HDD.

See below screenshots for a comparison between HDD and SSD random write and read times:

SSD
    [​IMG]

HDD
    [​IMG]

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

In this case, for the PPC, the OCZ in SATA I or II would be the preferred way to go. The 840's are SATA III and won't work; I even tried it just for fun knowing that my G5 wouldn't cooperate with it. I can get it to work as a secondary storage drive, but not as the boot drive.

11. drnebulous macrumors regular

drnebulous

isn't there anyway you can get a pci sata III?

12. simsaladimbamba

Would a PCIe flash storage card even work with PCI or PCI-X, if the G5 is from before 10/2005?

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but only in PCI-E PowerMacs, but they are not bootable.

Yes, but only in PCI-E PowerMacs, but they are not bootable.

14. simsaladimbamba

Thus my question, as I still do not know, what exact model of PowerMac the OP has.

And there is nothing wrong with an S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) or S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) SSD, even if sequential read and write times are not as fast as on S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III), but then again the same could be said for S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) being faster than S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) and so on.

Ridiculous.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Even a SATA I PCI card would max out the PCI bus' bandwidth. Only a PCI-X card would be able to benefit from SATA II and only a PCI-E card from SATA III.

16. darkal1en thread starter macrumors newbie

The model I have is Powermac 11, 2 which is the 2 GHz variant, sorry I forgot to post this as it may have some bearing on the nature of the replies.

17. drnebulous macrumors regular

drnebulous

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The OP has a DualCore PowerMac G5 from Oct 2005 with PCI-e slots, so that is good.

The OWC Accelsior PCI-e SSD card is stated for MacPro only, OSX 10.6.8 minimum https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/Tech_Specs

The Sonnet Tempo SATA cards start at SATA1 for the E2P but this card http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_e4i.html the E4i gets SATA II 3.0 Gbps performancs and has a PCI-e x4 interface so it is not bottlenecked by the bus. It supports PowerMac G5 11,2 with 10.5x

So does the TempoSSD which allows you to mount a SSD drive directly on the card. http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossd.html

Firmtek also has SATA II 3.0 Gbps cards compatible with the PCI-e PowerMacs http://firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2me4-e/
    and the PCI-X Pre-2005 PowerMacs http://firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2se4/.

19. apple apple macrumors member

Ooooooooooo, that firmtek looks like it may be bootable on a g5!