SSD's and MBP 15'' 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beeda, May 26, 2011.

1. beeda macrumors newbie

I am going to be getting a new mbp for college and have been doing research into ssd's. I understand that Lion is going to support trim, which will be a huge step up for ssd users, but they said only their ssd's would support it. Should I buy the 256gb ssd or wait and buy a different one once Lion comes out?

2. gmans46 macrumors regular

Im in the same situation for you. My solution (once bts starts) is that im going 15" highend, hires antiglare, 128gb ssd, just bought a 750gb optibay with mount for $140, and I also just got an 8gb aftermarket ram at 1600 instead of 1333. I think the 256 is too overpriced but the 128 paired with the 750 will satisfy my needs. Anyways trim is supposed to support all drives once lion comes out but for only a 90$ upgrade the 128 ssd is hard to beat especially if your willing to forgo the disk drive. Put it this way for $230 (90+140 for optibay) I am getting about 850 gb formatted space with over 100 of that solid state. After researching and having months to decide and with price still a factor i found this was my best option.

3. amroc macrumors newbie

I think for real peace of mind it might be good to get the Apple SSD. I bought a 15" MBP pro recently, with the 128gb SSD upgrade. I recently swapped in a 256gb C300, and all is fine, although from reading around it looks like I might have been lucky. A lot of 2011 MBPs have had problems with Sata3 (6gb/s) drives (it may be just the very early ones though, mine is 5 weeks old).

Incidentally, about TRIM. You're right, when I had Apple's 128gb SSD installed, TRIM was enabled. Now I have the C300 in, it says it's not. However, I've read that drives like the C300 have their own garbage collection which is pretty much as good. Mine still seems to be super fast, and I saw an article that tested this drive on OSX with no TRIM, and the performance didn't degrade over time.

There is a fix to enable TRIM in 10.6.7 floating around, a modified kext from lion I think. I've read people have had success with it. But as long as my drive keeps working fast (I'll run a benchmark every so often), I'll leave it be.

4. sambuev macrumors member

sambuev

I wanna order MBP with 128GB SSD and then buy 750GB HDD and add it to my second drive instead of DVD-Rom. Is it possible to do?
    How about warrantly, I want to do it first day I'll get MBP.
    ;)

5. maxxed macrumors newbie

What drive/brand/speed SSD shipped from Apple? I am planning the exact same build as gmans46.

6. sambuev macrumors member

sambuev

As I know SSD from Apple has SATA II speed, but you won't have any problems with TRIM, because Apple already setup everything to work perfect, otherwise you might have some problems with other SSDs.

7. maxxed macrumors newbie

Has anyone posted benches from Apple's SSD's? I have searched without luck, if not it would be great to see those :)

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This test includes results for the Apple OEM SSD.